[comp.os.minix] 80186 PC Minix help!

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (10/18/89)

i have been trying to upgrade from my 4.77 Mhz XT to a turbo for a year now.
finally, i got the speed i wanted.  i managed to swap an old Altos 580 i had
for an 80186 motherboard that is supposed to be XT compatible.
runs dos fine.  minix boots. i can check file systems etc. but when i hit
= to load the system it hangs.

is there a check for the processor type in there somewhere?

any help would be appreciated.

thanx in advance.  (want to try those Dhrydstones out)

--
[ Jim Mercer          jim@lsuc.on.ca   ||   utzoo!lsuc!jim   +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ System Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]

blitter@ele.tue.nl (Paul Derks) (10/19/89)

In article <1989Oct17.234017.18698@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

>i have been trying to upgrade from my 4.77 Mhz XT to a turbo for a year now.
>finally, i got the speed i wanted.  i managed to swap an old Altos 580 i had
>for an 80186 motherboard that is supposed to be XT compatible.

Be prepared for some wonderfull problems and get yourself an 80186 data book.
The 80186 has built in DMA, timer and interrupt controllers which are
totally not hardware compatible with the PC's peripherals. Interrupt vectors,
hardware registers are all in the wrong places. Perhaps the board is DOS
compatible on the BIOS level but certainly not at the hardware level.
You will have to change the kernel considerably.

Good luck!

Paul Derks

snewton@ (Steve Newton) (10/22/89)

In article <133@euteal.ele.tue.nl> blitter@ele.tue.nl (Paul Derks) writes:
>In <1989Oct17.234017.18698@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

->I have been trying to upgrade from my 4.77 Mhz XT to a turbo for a year now.
->finally, i got the speed i wanted.  i managed to swap an old Altos 580 i had
->for an 80186 motherboard that is supposed to be XT compatible.

>Be prepared for some wonderfull problems and get yourself an 80186 data book.
However, it is not that bad for MS-DOS programs (keep it for dac-easy,etc).
Most programs do not require knowledge about the DMA or Timer. Some do
like to insert a 'key monitor' and thus issue a End of Interupt.
It is a 'compatible' but it will be useful to have a better clone until
you are able to port/convert/patch programs to RUN ONLY ON THAT MACHINE!!

>totally not hardware compatible with the PC's peripherals. Interrupt vectors,
>hardware registers are all in the wrong places. Perhaps the board is DOS
>compatible on the BIOS level but certainly not at the hardware level.
>You will have to change the kernel considerably.

: Do what I did- disassemble the ROM (debug: uFFFF:0000 and many t&p's 8:)
Look for a out ax to FF02--This establishes a table base for all other internal
chip ports.
	Let's form a mailing list of those lucky to have 286 speed without
	a MMU (the 186)