[comp.os.minix] System hangs while accessing floppy

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (10/24/89)

I'm running Minix 1.2 on a XT clone with 2 floppies.

<Occasionally>, while accessing the floppy Minix hangs with the following
symptoms:

Either floppy can be in use.
Drive light stays on.
Floppy continues to spin.
F1 and F2 continue to work and show process statuses.
The FLOPPY task always show "HARDWR" in the "recv" column of F1's output.
The FLOPPY task has an incrementing "sys" value in F1's output.
F9 has no effect.
I never get another shell prompt.
I have to re-boot.

I just borrowed the second 5 1/4 drive to try to create a version of Minix
that will work on my 10Mb disks...

Both drives work fine with MSDOS.

Any ideas what is wrong?

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysV/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek

In article <281@trux.UUCP>, car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
> I'm running Minix 1.2 on a XT clone with 2 floppies.
>
> <Occasionally>, while accessing the floppy Minix hangs with the following
> symptoms:

  [ see list in previous posting ]

> The FLOPPY task has an incrementing "sys" value in F1's output.

OOPS, It is the HARDWR task that has the increasing sys value, not FLOPPY.

car.