[comp.os.minix] Minix on an 68070

simmy@ocean.ocean.fsu.edu (Simmule Turner) (10/11/89)

Has anyone ported minix to the 68070.
--
Simmule Turner        |Arpa: simmy@nu.cs.fsu.edu        | "Wait until it is
Florida State Univ    |Uucp: gatech!nu.cs.fsu.edu!simmy |  finished, it will
444 OSB               | Cis: 70651,67       Genie:simmy |  be great"
Tallahassee, FL 32306 | Tel: +1 904 644 1573            |             simmy

wbeebe@bilver.UUCP (bill beebe) (10/20/89)

In article <SIMMY.89Oct10225300@ocean.ocean.fsu.edu> simmy@ocean.ocean.fsu.edu (Simmule Turner) writes:
>Has anyone ported minix to the 68070.
Are you trying to create an embedded version of Minix :-)? (For the  Curious,
the 68070 was Signetics/Philips attempt at an integrated 68K core based
CPU; it had, amoung other things, a UART, two DMA channels, a 16-bit timer with
two 16-bit compare registers, and a simple MMU that could handle up to 8
segments of up to 2 Mbytes or 128 segments of up to 128 Kbytes).

A more interresting port would be to Motorola's 68332, covered in the October
and November issues of "Embedded Systems".

shs@uts.amdahl.com (Steve Schoettler) (10/24/89)

In article <312@bilver.UUCP> wbeebe@.UUCP (bill beebe) writes:
>In article <SIMMY.89Oct10225300@ocean.ocean.fsu.edu> simmy@ocean.ocean.fsu.edu (Simmule Turner) writes:
>>Has anyone ported minix to the 68070.

>Are you trying to create an embedded version of Minix :-)?
>A more interresting port would be to Motorola's 68332, covered in the October
>and November issues of "Embedded Systems".

Now that you mention it, I'm working on exactly that.  It's pretty hard
to get the chips, though.
I was going to wait for 1.4, but I wanted to get it done before the end of
the year, so I started with the 1.3 ST version about a week ago.
If anyone is doing something similar, please let me know.

--

Steve Schoettler
Amdahl Systems Architecture

wbeebe@bilver.UUCP (bill beebe) (10/28/89)

In article <ed8U022s62dT01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> shs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Steve Schoettler) writes:
>>A more interresting port would be to Motorola's 68332...
>
>Now that you mention it, I'm working on exactly that.  It's pretty hard
>to get the chips, though.

Motorola will not release the 68332 for general release until the beginning
of 1990. If you can convince Motorola that you're a developer, they will sell
you a development card with the 68332 and support logic, along with a mother
card and another development/communications card (with its on 68HC11) for
about $500. This *should* be available around December of this year. You'll
need to contact your local Motorola distributor for further details. I, on
the other hand, am trying to stuff protected mode Minix on an 80376 card.
Now I know what was meant about sticking 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag :-).