[comp.os.minix] Upgrades from Prentice Hall

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (10/25/89)

When I received my Minix 1.3 from Prentice Hall, I dutifully filled out my
registration card to become an official type Minix owner.  On the
registration card is a checkbox for "Please send me updates."  Being a
reasonably normal person I thought to myself "Sure, why not? I'd really
like to get 1.4 when it's official".

To my great surprise, I received in the mail my first official Minix update
from Andy Tannebaum himself (via PH).  Ripping open the package with glee I
found inside my official upgrade kit to Minix 1.3!!!  Er.... but it was 1.3
that I purchased originally?  Sigh.  I've written PH the nicest letter I
could bear to and have returned the offensive package from whence it came.

So if Andy happens to read this, could you perhaps suggest to PH that they
need to pay a little more attention to what they're doing before they send
me a bill for $37.50 for software I'd already purchased from them.

			   Thanks in advance,
					     John Reynolds

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/28/89)

In article <207600013@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>To my great surprise, I received in the mail my first official Minix update
>from Andy Tannebaum himself (via PH).  Ripping open the package with glee I
>found inside my official upgrade kit to Minix 1.3!!!

I know nothing about this, but I will forward it to P-H.  Our dept now
has a FAX machine, and FAXes tend to get more attention than letters, so I
will FAX it to them.  The new editor there is much better than the previous
one, so maybe he will do something.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (10/30/89)

In article <207600013@trsvax>, reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:

> When I received my Minix 1.3 from Prentice Hall, I dutifully filled out my
> registration card to become an official type Minix owner.  On the
> registration card is a checkbox for "Please send me updates."
[stuff deleted]

> So if Andy happens to read this, could you perhaps suggest to PH that they
> need to pay a little more attention to what they're doing before they send
> me a bill for $37.50 for software I'd already purchased from them.
>
> 			   Thanks in advance,
> 					     John Reynolds

I too filled in the registration card which is clearly marked MINIX ST in my
case.  So what do you think I got?  The same MINIX 1.3 that John Reynolds
complained about which is for the *PC*.  Fat lot of good that does me on my
ST.

I kept the package and sent PH a note informing them of this "error" and
asked how to proceed to have this corrected.  The ball is now clearly in
THEIR court.

 BTW, is there an update to MINIX ST 1.1 which is equivalent to MINIX 1.3
 for the PC?

Also, is there a new compiler available for the ST?

Thanks Andy for a nice product/learning tool.
Pierre Fortin

stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) (10/31/89)

In article <137@bnrgate.bnr.ca> fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) writes:
>Also, is there a new compiler available for the ST?

I believe that the GNU C compiler has been ported to MINX ST.
not having megabytes of memory or 10's of megabytes of disk
thrown into MINIX I haven't tried to bring it up myself.

INET stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
UUCP {backbone}!dftsrv!iris613!stailey