[comp.os.minix] Should superusers be able to link?

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (11/09/89)

I think it is a good idea to allow root to link
directories.  One reason is to allow root to repair
broken directories.  If a directory is missing "."
or ".." this can be repaired only with link(2).

Not the strongest of arguments I know.
--
Do Not meddle in the   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
affairs of Wizards,    | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090

In article <1989Nov8.181933.2121@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <6849@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Unless you allow soft links, links to directories are pretty much
> >a necessity.

> Can you explain why?  Utzoo lived without either for most of a decade.

It depends on your environemnt. In an academic environment, it's probably
OK... you have the sources to just about everything. When you don't have
the sources, though, and you have brain-dead software floating around
with hard-coded paths... it's nice to be able to:

/etc/link /usr/ucb/bin /usr/local/bin

Sure, you can patch the executables. Again and again and again.
And you can use 'lntree' (or a clever find hack).

But it's a lot easier to do it once and for all. You don't need this sort of
thing often... I've done it maybe 3 times in the past 10 years... but when
you need it, it's pretty important.

Yes, I know MINIX isn't currently a production environemnt on whhich you
expect to be running commercial software. But, one day...
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.