[comp.os.minix] a.out.h, anyone?

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (11/13/89)

Due to the way I got the 1.2-1.3 diffs over to my MINIX system (I had
to Kermit them over to DOS, uncompress and untar them under DOS, split
it up into 360K-sized pieces, and then retar it onto floppies), I'm
missing the /usr/include/a.out.h file.  This is necessary to compile
nm, dis88, BSD More, and lots of other stuff.  Could someone who has
it please send it to me?  Thanks a lot...

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (11/15/89)

In article <703.255E2B5D@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>Due to the way I got the 1.2-1.3 diffs over to my MINIX system (I had
>to Kermit them over to DOS, uncompress and untar them under DOS, split
>it up into 360K-sized pieces, and then retar it onto floppies), I'm
>missing the /usr/include/a.out.h file.  This is necessary to compile
>nm, dis88, BSD More, and lots of other stuff.  Could someone who has
>it please send it to me?  Thanks a lot...

Marc, if you still need a.out.h by the time you see this, let me
know.  I'll mail it to you if nobody closer volunteers.

On a related note, I've written a little program that may be of
use to people moving large masses of stuff around via floppies.
It's actually a modification of the 'tarscan' program that I posted
to one of the sources groups several years ago.  The new version
reads a file in tar(5) format on stdin and optionally generates:

	a) A series of tar(5) format files with a specified
	   basename that do not exceed a specified size.

	b) A listing of the contents of the input tar file
	   giving the name and Subject: line (if any) of each
	   file.  If the option to generate limited-size
	   output tar files was selected, the listing includes
	   headings showing where each output volume begins.

	c) If the basename of the output tar files is a device,
	   that device will have a series of complete tar files
	   written on it with media-change prompting.

The nice thing about this program is that it allows me to move a
huge amount of stuff as a series of floppy-sized tarfiles that
can each stand alone.  I recently moved my Minix news archives
from work to home.  I didn't relish the thought of the Minix
tar program wading through a 14-volume tar file looking for
a particular article.  With this program, I just look at the
listing to find out which floppy the desired file is on and
then tar the file in off that disk.

Problems:

The current version of the program is on my Sun and hasn't even
been compiled on Minix.  The stuff dealing with writing on
devices hasn't been tested.  The program doesn't know what to
do if it finds a member of the input tar file that is larger
than the output volume size.  I suspect it will loop writing
zero-length tarfiles!  :-(  I've used it to move about 20 Mb
of stuff between my Sun at work and my Minix PC at home via
DOS 1.2Mb floppies.  In that mode, it works swell.

If there's interest, I'll clean up the untested parts of the program
and post it.  I'm sort-of thinking about using it with GNU tar
to do full and incremental backups of my Minix system.  I think
I'll call it 'tarsplit'.  Anybody have any better ideas?

Paul

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen