[comp.os.minix] Does MINIX have its own partition code?

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (11/09/89)

In article <4474@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> In article <5820009@hpcupt1.HP.COM> swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
> >My question is:  has the Minix community settled on a code of its own?
> I hacked fdisk to use 0x08, but I have now learned that AIX uses this.
> Bruce Evans is now working on fdisk.  What I would really like to to get
> an official partition code assigned by the Assigner of Codes.
>
> Does anybody know who the Assigner of Codes is?  IBM? Microsoft? Seagate?

Let's not forget PC/IX; since it's from IBM I presume its code
is as official as you can get.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (11/10/89)

In article <4474@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <5820009@hpcupt1.HP.COM> swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>>My question is:  has the Minix community settled on a code of its own?
>I hacked fdisk to use 0x08, but I have now learned that AIX uses this.
>Bruce Evans is now working on fdisk.  What I would really like to to get
>an official partition code assigned by the Assigner of Codes.
>
>Does anybody know who the Assigner of Codes is?  IBM? Microsoft? Seagate?

I have found the following in my past lives on which OS's use which
SYSID in the partition table:

	HEX
	00		Empty Partition Entry
	01		DOS 12-Bit FAT
	02		XENIX File System
	03		Old XENIX /usr File System, don't think used anymore
	04		DOS 16-Bit FAT
	05		DOS 3.3 Extended Partiton containing Extended Volumes
	06		DOS Large File System (512b sectors, ~32-bit addresses)
	07		don't know
	08		AIX, from above

	52		CPM - I belive, but not sure

These I have found and used before. There must be others, but not sure.
Try a post to the comp.sys.ibm.pc for a request.

>Such people do exist.  The Amoeba protocol, for example, used in V1.3,
>is an officially registered, guaranteed-to-be-unique-worldwide number.
>However, the folks who give out Ethernet protocol numbers don't deal
>in hard disk partition codes.  It is a different union.

Numbers 1 thru 6 were IBM and MicroSoft. I think it is mostly defacto.
My suggestion is to select some number 'far enough' out to not colide
with future values.
--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogcvax,uunet}!sequent!norsk
Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727

aubrey@rpp386.cactus.org (Aubrey McIntosh) (11/12/89)

One of the disk partition packages at the office, probably the software
distributed by seagate with their new disks, and/or Ontrack management
software, showed PCIX partitions to be something like #117.

In the middle of the night, I thought I remembered reading that Minix was
written under PCIX.  Separately, I heard that PCIX is orphaned.

So naturally I use that partition number.

I would welcome corrections on any of these opinions...

--
Aubrey McIntosh                  Freelance using Modula-2
                                 Real time, embedded, instruments.

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (11/13/89)

In article <24614@sequent.UUCP>, norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) writes:
 > I have found the following in my past lives on which OS's use which
 > SYSID in the partition table:
 >
 > 	HEX
 > 	00		Empty Partition Entry
 > 	01		DOS 12-Bit FAT
 > 	02		XENIX File System
 > 	03		Old XENIX /usr File System, don't think used anymore
 > 	04		DOS 16-Bit FAT
 > 	05		DOS 3.3 Extended Partiton containing Extended Volumes
 > 	06		DOS Large File System (512b sectors, ~32-bit addresses)
 > 	07		don't know
 > 	08		AIX, from above
 >
 > 	52		CPM - I belive, but not sure

      0x63              386/ix (Unix V.3.2) Version 2.0.1, at least

 > Numbers 1 thru 6 were IBM and MicroSoft. I think it is mostly defacto.
 > My suggestion is to select some number 'far enough' out to not colide
 > with future values.

I picked 25 decimal (0x19) as being small enough to not be hit by other
"way out" number pickers, and large enough as to miss IBM's list.

Perhaps 07 is the new OS/2 file system (the BSD version of OS/2 ;^).  You
know, with long file names, contiguous files, etc.!

 > Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogcvax,uunet}!sequent!norsk
 > Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727
 > 15450 SW Koll Parkway	!"The scientist builds to learn;the engineer learns in
 > Beaverton OR 97006	!order to build."  Fred Brooks

Charles
"Those who would sacrifice **  Charles Marslett
liberty for security,      **  STB Systems, Inc. <-- apply all std. disclaimers
deserve neither."          **  Wordmark Systems  <-- that's just me
  -- Benjamin Franklin     **  chasm\@attctc.dallas.tx.us

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (11/18/89)

The aggregate list so far:

 SYSID in the partition table:

 	HEX		Usage
	----		--------------------------------------------------
 	00		Empty Partition Entry
 	01		DOS 12-Bit FAT
 	02		XENIX File System
 	03		Old XENIX /usr File System, don't think used anymore
 	04		DOS 16-Bit FAT
 	05		DOS 3.3 Extended Partiton containing Extended Volumes
 	06		DOS Large File System (512b sectors, ~32-bit addresses)
 	07		don't know
 	08		AIX, from above

>	0A		OPUS Systems Unix partition (co-processor unix)

	19		Minix (proposed)

	40		Minix (from code)

 	52		CPM - I belive, but not sure

	63              386/ix (Unix V.3.2) Version 2.0.1, at least

--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...dukeac!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]
Domain: ggw@cds.duke.edu  ggw@ac.duke.edu  ggw%wolves@ac.duke.edu
Phone: +1 919 493 1998 (Home)  +1 919 684 6126 (Work)
[The line eater is a boojum snark! ]           <standard disclaimers apply>