[comp.os.minix] tty rs232

bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) (11/19/89)

I have a request for whoever may be working on rs232 driver upgrades.

          *** PLEASE IMPLEMENT BREAK GENERATION ***

Break detection would be nice, but I *NEED* break generation.

Neither the PH MINIX 1.3 driver nor the Bruce Evans driver which I
think is a part of MINIX 1.4 support break control.  I hacked at both
drivers trying to add break generation, but never got it working.
(I timed the break by outputting '\0' chars while the 8250 was
putting out the BREAK, then couldn't get a Tx Holding Register Empty
interrupt after I told the 8250 to stop BREAKing.  Never figured out why.)

Most systems I use require me to generate a BREAK as part of the
logon sequence.  Because of this, I've not been able to get the
Peter Housel UUPC working.  (I have packet transfer failures with
the one system I can log onto without a BREAK - a Sys-V system with
HoneyDanBer UUCP).

I'm unable to log onto my guest account on the system where I read
comp.os.minix while using MINIX because I have to generate a BREAK
to get on.  Though I'd probably use MSDOS for this anyway because
(1) I don't have kermit under MINIX and (2) I find BRIEF under MSDOS
much better for browsing the articles I save and download than MINED
under MINIX.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/20/89)

In article <1989Nov18.213529.5648@chinet.chi.il.us> bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>I have a request for whoever may be working on rs232 driver upgrades.
>
>          *** PLEASE IMPLEMENT BREAK GENERATION ***

I have to (eventually).  POSIX 7.2.2.1 specifies a function tcsendbreak().

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)