[comp.os.minix] Distributability Question

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (11/19/89)

  I'd like to port (and post) the 3/88 versions of c++decl and cdecl to MINIX.

  Since MINIX lacks both Lex and Yacc, the only way it could be portable is
to include the output files of Lex and Yacc.

  So, here's the question in hope there is some definitive answer:

  Can the output of an AT&T derived Lex and Yacc (mine would be Ultrix's [DEC's
flavor]) be freely distributed? That is, are the restrictions imposed
applicable only to the AT&T derived source code of Lex and Yacc, but not to
the output files produced by the tools?

  I think the output files are freely distributable, much as programs produced
with the aid of Turbo Pascal and Microsoft C are freely distributable (given
some minor conditions in their shrink-wrap license). If this is not the case,
would someone kindly explain why? If it is the case, are there some conditions
to be met so the output files are distributable?
--
--==---==---==--
Toves: Animals something like badgers, lizards, and corkscrews

cechew@bruce.OZ (Earl Chew) (11/19/89)

From article <5647@umd5.umd.edu>, by cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain):
>   Since MINIX lacks both Lex and Yacc, the only way it could be portable is
> to include the output files of Lex and Yacc.

I thought that we had Flex for Minix. Am I mistaken?

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
ARPA: cechew%bruce.cs.monash.oz.au@uunet.uu.net  ACS : cechew@bruce.oz

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/19/89)

In <5647@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) writes:
>  Can the output of an AT&T derived Lex and Yacc (mine would be Ultrix's [DEC's
>flavor]) be freely distributed?
About four years ago AT&T explicitly said that the output of Yacc and Lex
were not subject to license conditions.  They also lifted the requirement
on other stuff that used things from /usr/lib, but I don't remember the
specifics; contact 1-800-828-UNIX for details.

DEC probably has the same licensing arrangement, but I would check with
them before posting.  In particular, make sure you don't put out something
with a DEC copyright in it (/usr/lib/ncform, or /usr/lib/yaccpar).  DEC
got in trouble once becuase someone repackaged ATT Yacc and sent it out
through DECUS.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (11/20/89)

In article <1702@bruce.OZ> cechew@bruce.OZ (Earl Chew) writes:
>From article <5647@umd5.umd.edu>, by cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain):
>>   Since MINIX lacks both Lex and Yacc  ..
>
>I thought that we had Flex for Minix. Am I mistaken?

Thanks for your reply, but let me emphasize the key part of my post:

--> MINIX lacks **both** Lex and Yacc.
I need the output of a pair of files, one for each tool to port cdecl.

   I've had one post suggest using GNU's Lex and Yacc workalikes, but I don't
have them handy. If I can distribute the output generated by AT&T derived
tools, then I'll take the path of least resistance (I have those handy).
--
--==---==---==--
Slithy: Lithe and slimy. _Lithe_ is the same as _active_

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/20/89)

In article <5656@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) writes:
>>From article <5647@umd5.umd.edu>, by cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain):
>--> MINIX lacks **both** Lex and Yacc.
I believe there was something called Flex floating around, but it may be
too large for 64K + 64K.  I don't know.

I have a PD yacc source here (not the notorious DECUS one) that I haven't
looked at.  The source file is 195K bytes.  If anybody wants to study it
and port it to MINIX, let me know.

Andy Tanenbaum