[comp.os.minix] Suns talking Amoeba

mark@bruce.OZ (Mark Goodwin) (11/20/89)

I am in the process of setting up a large network of 386 machines
running Minix. Each machine has a Western Digital ethercard plus
(compatible) ethernet card and runs the 1.3c (Amoeba) kernel.

This will be an excellent base for research into distributed operating
systems using the Amoeba RPC protocols and for teaching the Unix kernel
and networking internals.

We also have a network of Sun 3/50 machines running SunOs3.5,
some of which I would like to have talking Amoeba too. So my question is :-
does anyone have Sun3/50 versions of the low level ethernet routines?
Our Suns use the Intel 82586 controller (I think) on the "ie0" interface.

----
Mark Goodwin, Systems Programmer @ Monash Uni. Comp. Sci.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/20/89)

In article <1704@bruce.OZ> mark@bruce.OZ (Mark Goodwin) writes:
>I am in the process of setting up a large network of 386 machines
>running Minix. Each machine has a Western Digital ethercard plus
>(compatible) ethernet card and runs the 1.3c (Amoeba) kernel.
>
>This will be an excellent base for research into distributed operating
>systems using the Amoeba RPC protocols and for teaching the Unix kernel
>and networking internals.
>
>We also have a network of Sun 3/50 machines running SunOs3.5,
>some of which I would like to have talking Amoeba too. So my question is :-
>does anyone have Sun3/50 versions of the low level ethernet routines?

We are currently in the process of preparing a proper Amoeba distribution
for outside consumption.  This will contain all the code to run Amoeba on
Suns and Vaxes.  In a following distribution, 386s and other CPUS (RISC)
will be added.  The Amoeba distribution will contain all the source code
for the high, low, and intermediate level stuff.  This work is being
partially supported by OSF, since they are interested in examining it for
potential use in OSF/2 or OSF/3.

The tape with everything will be available to universities and the like for
a nominal charge.  We hope to have it available in the Spring of 1990
(Spring is March 21 to June 21 or thereabouts).  Time will tell.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)