[comp.os.minix] PH, ISBN number

bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) (11/26/89)

Hello MINIX gurus, I have the 1.2 distribution which I haven't used much.
I intend to get more active now, and and want to upgrade to the forth-
coming 1.4.x (or will it be called 1.5.x?). My understanding is that to
do this one needs to have the 1.3d (?) version that can currently be
had from Prentice-Hall, and then be careful to grab all the upgrade diffs
that will come on the net, hoping you won't miss anything (I can't use
FTP to access archives).

MINIX People I have had contact with say that it will be much better to
just buy 1.3 instead of trying to upgrade 1.2 -> 1.3 (they talk about
'tearing your hair out...'). I know P-H sometimes ship the wrong versions
(it happened to me), and you need to specify the correct ISBN number to
be safer to get the correct one. So, then:

	What is the ISBN number of MINIX 1.3d (?) from P-H

BTW, will they accept payment via credit card (Visa/MC)? And also, are
there any archive sites from which upgrades, info etc can be gotten by
using mail or uucp?

							Regard, Bjorn
--
 ====================== InfoVox = Speech Technology =======================
 Bjorn Larsson, INFOVOX AB      :      ...seismo!mcvax!kth!sunic!infovax!bl

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/27/89)

In article <312@infovax.UUCP> bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) writes:
>	What is the ISBN number of MINIX 1.3d (?) from P-H

There is an upgrade kit from P-H for $29.95.  The ISBN number is:
	0-13-584723-0
The kit contains the all the sources of 1.3, but not all the binaries. You need
either 1.1 or 1.2 to boot and read in the disks.  The upgrade kit also
contains the compiler binaries, which changed from 1.1 to 1.2.  Thus if
you have 1.1 or 1.2, this is the package to get.

With a little bit of luck, I will post part of 1.5.0 within a week.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (11/27/89)

In article <4628@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes...

]In article <312@infovax.UUCP> bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) writes:
]>	What is the ISBN number of MINIX 1.3d (?) from P-H

]There is an upgrade kit from P-H for $29.95.  The ISBN number is:
]	0-13-584723-0

]The kit contains the all the sources of 1.3, but not all the binaries. You need
]either 1.1 or 1.2 to boot and read in the disks.  The upgrade kit also
]contains the compiler binaries, which changed from 1.1 to 1.2.  Thus if
]you have 1.1 or 1.2, this is the package to get.

I seem to remember that there is also a *complete* 1.3,
presumably with a different ISBN number.  I was considering
getting that (despite the cost), because I'd been under the
impression that my 1.1 wouldn't run on my AT.  Haven't done
much with Minix lately, so I tried to boot up my 1.1 and to
my surprise, it works except for the famous EGA display
problem.  Still, if a complete 1.3 were available, and
especially if it had a working EGA driver and a working
printer driver (which it probably does), the extra money
is worth it, in view of the time the upgrade would take.
Is that an option, and if so, what is its ISBN number,
please?

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu====UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Dirk Husemann) (11/28/89)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>In article <312@infovax.UUCP> bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) writes:
>>	What is the ISBN number of MINIX 1.3d (?) from P-H

>There is an upgrade kit from P-H for $29.95.  The ISBN number is:
>	0-13-584723-0
>The kit contains the all the sources of 1.3, but not all the binaries. You need
>either 1.1 or 1.2 to boot and read in the disks.  The upgrade kit also
>contains the compiler binaries, which changed from 1.1 to 1.2.  Thus if
>you have 1.1 or 1.2, this is the package to get.

	What about MINIX-ST 1.1 to 1.5.0???

>With a little bit of luck, I will post part of 1.5.0 within a week.

>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

	Dirk Husemann

---------------------- Smile, tomorrow will be worse! ------------------
X.400:	<S=dkhusema;OU=informatik;P=uni-erlangen;A=dbp;C=de>
RFC822:	dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
RFC822: dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.dbp.de	[BETTER!FASTER!]
UUCP:	{pyramid,unido}!fauern!immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de!dkhusema
-- Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here! --
------------------- My opinions are mine, mine, mine -------------------

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/30/89)

In article <2727@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>I seem to remember that there is also a *complete* 1.3,
>presumably with a different ISBN number.  I was considering
>getting that (despite the cost), because I'd been under the
>impression that my 1.1 wouldn't run on my AT.

Yes, there is a full 1.3: ISBN 0-13-583303-5 (AT version)
1.3 is more robust than 1.1.  It works with EGA cards (hit the F3 key).
Printer problems are fewer--most are caused by having your printer port
at an unexpected address.

Andy Tanenbaum