[comp.os.minix] minix problems

jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (12/14/88)

	I have a few questions maybe someone could help with:

		I'm running IBM Minix 1.2.

	1. Is there a reason that 'ls' exists without a '-C'
	   option?

	2. Su all of a sudden seemed to quit working, it starts
	   a shell but has no power, has anyone experienced this?

	   (I changed my prompt from '$' (default) to '%', when I
	    su I get '$' instead of '#'). I can login root and
	    everything goes as it should.

	3. I've also had the problem described here with rmdir, did
	   anyone come up with a reason? (rmdir not removing a
	   directory when permissioning was not a factor).

				Thanks in advance,
					Jeff
--
Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/16/88)

In article <1907@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:
>	1. Is there a reason that 'ls' exists without a '-C'
What's -C?  It's not in my Version 7 manual.

>	2. Su all of a sudden seemed to quit working,
See if it is still owned by root and setuid

>	3. I've also had the problem described here with rmdir, did
>	   anyone come up with a reason?
Same as above.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (12/16/88)

In article <1814@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> In article <1907@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:
> >	1. Is there a reason that 'ls' exists without a '-C'
> What's -C?  It's not in my Version 7 manual.

	I apologize for this posting, my brain was on holiday
	at the time of its writing.

	On our system we support BSD 4.3 AND ATT System V
	and System V is similar to Version 7. So when I was
	doing ls -C on the ATT side (default on BSD) I thought
	'Hey wait a minute...'. Again I apologize.

> >	2. Su all of a sudden seemed to quit working,
> See if it is still owned by root and setuid

	I found this after a little work, which I should have
	done before posting.

--
Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff

mlewis@unocss..unl.edu (mlewis) (12/07/89)

Hi folx, I'm posting the following for a friend who can't seem to get
postnews  to do what he asks.  Any Email responses should be directed
to him although I can forward messages, of course. His username is
wilhite, on this machine.  Responses to other than this machine I will
have to forward, as he doesn't have an account on the Vax.  Thanks a
bunch.

[begin forwarded message]
From wilhite Wed Dec  6 14:50:47 1989
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 14:50:42 cst
From: wilhite (timothy r. wilhite)
To: mlewis

marcus:

enclosed is a brief description of the problem i'm encountering. btw, i
think i will utilize this machine for communication with you versus calling
at work; i think you are extremely busy to be dealing with these types
of problems.  anyway, back to the problem:

o using mkfs under minix (#mkfs /dev/at0 1200) works fine without any
problems.

o checking the above disk from the boot menu gives me the following:
	- error0x401 writing block 4, retry
	- error0x401 writing block 4, retry
	- error0x401 writing block 4, retry
	- fsck can't write block 4(error=0x401)

o i get the above nonsense with a dos formatted 1.2 meg disk.  here, i'm
trying to create a empty file system.

o i use the defaults that it is giving me.

i encountered this problem while under minix trying to get a copy of
sed.  i'm frustrated as to what in the world is going on.  i'm to the
point of going back to os9.  at least i know what i'm doing<grin>.

thxs for the post.
 -tim

Na khuya mne ehto gavno?              |  Internet: cs057@zeus.unl.edu
                   preferred machine->|  UUCP:     uunet!btni!unocss!mlewis