[net.unix-wizards] disappearing signal?

DEAN@USC-ECL@sri-unix (08/02/82)

From: Jeff Dean <DEAN@USC-ECL>
Date:  1 Jul 1982 2229-PDT
I've got a program that does a fork; the parent then returns, while
the child sits in an infinite sleep/work loop.  I'd like this
process to disappear when I logout, but somehow, the SIGHUP signal
I was hoping it would get never seems to arrive.  Whether or not
I try to play with signals, the process does not want to disappear
on its own.  I'm running on 4.1bsd, with the C shell, if that makes
a difference.  Can any "signal hackers" out there shed some light?
-------

smb (08/02/82)

Re: DEAN@USC-ECL's problem -- it's due to a "feature" of the C shell.

While your program is running, the tty's pgrp is assigned to the child
process created by csh.  When it terminates, csh regains control of the
tty.  HUP signals are sent only to the group that controls the tty; thus,
your orphan process never receives it.  Ain't progress wonderful....