[comp.os.minix] Can MINIX take advantage of a math co-processor?

ed@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Ed Federmeyer) (12/07/89)

If I install an 8087 math co-processor in my PC, and re-compile the MINIX
kernel with the C compiler that comes with MINIX, will it be able to take
advantage of the 8087, or does the official MINIX C compiler just ignore
'x87's completely?

I also heard references (I think in that file "MINIX INFO" that gets posted
every once in a while) to a Pascal compiler for MINIX... Does MINIX come with
a Pascal compiler?
--
//==========================================================================\\
|| Ed Federmeyer                      ||   Internet:  ed@iitMax.iit.edu     ||

ghelmer@DSUVAX.uucp (Guy Helmer) (12/08/89)

In article <3079@iitmax.IIT.EDU>, ed@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Ed Federmeyer) writes:
> If I install an 8087 math co-processor in my PC, and re-compile the MINIX
> kernel with the C compiler that comes with MINIX, will it be able to take
> advantage of the 8087, or does the official MINIX C compiler just ignore
> 'x87's completely?

   Basically, MINIX ignores the 80x87 chip.  The routines save and
_restart in kernel/mpx88.s would have to be modified to save/restore the
state of the '87 chip if one would attempt to run floating point code.
The MINIX C compiler can generate calls to floating point library routines;
one might be able to build up support for the '87 chip using the software
floating point package posted a few months ago.

> I also heard references (I think in that file "MINIX INFO" that gets posted
> every once in a while) to a Pascal compiler for MINIX... Does MINIX come with
> a Pascal compiler?

   No, the Pascal compiler doesn't come with MINIX.

> || Ed Federmeyer                      ||   Internet:  ed@iitMax.iit.edu     ||

--
Guy Helmer                                           ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp
Dakota State University Computing Services           helmer@sdnet.bitnet

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/14/89)

In article <3079@iitmax.IIT.EDU> ed@iitmax.iit.edu (Ed Federmeyer) writes:
>Does MINIX come with
>a Pascal compiler?

No, but one is available for the PC from UniPress and Transmediair.  Their
addresses are given in the preface to the book.

Andy Tanenbaum