[comp.os.minix] Copying and preserving file info

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (12/11/89)

Now that I've got my HD driver basically working and my HD partitioned
properly I'd like to load it up with Minix stuff.

How do I copy dir's and files (to my HD) while preserving the UID, accesses,
mod time, etc...?

cp won't do it, cpdir won't do it, tar won't do it, etc...
(and I don't want to do it by hand! chmod, chown, etc...)

Does anyone have a CPIO working on Minix? (Please Email)

Maybe I'll look into porting afio or pax to Minix...

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (12/12/89)

From article <338@trux.UUCP>, by car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende):
> cp won't do it, cpdir won't do it, tar won't do it, etc...
> (and I don't want to do it by hand! chmod, chown, etc...)

yeah, BSD cp has a -p for preserve which preserves the file's date, time,
and umask during copying.  would be nice if someone (i'm too busy, sorry)
would implement this :-).

--
Jason Coughlin ( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx )
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (12/13/89)

In article <1989Dec11.185225.15922@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) writes:
> From article <338@trux.UUCP>, by car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende):
> > cp won't do it, cpdir won't do it, tar won't do it, etc...

I have a clone of cpio that does what you say.
You probably have access to UNIX sources; port over CPIO and its done.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (12/15/89)

In article <881@lzaz.ATT.COM> hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>In article <1989Dec11.185225.15922@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) writes:
>> From article <338@trux.UUCP>, by car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende):
>> > cp won't do it, cpdir won't do it, tar won't do it, etc...
>
>I have a clone of cpio that does what you say.
>You probably have access to UNIX sources; port over CPIO and its done.

Umm...  Doesn't his source license prevent him from using the sources on
some non-licensed cpu?  If cpio is really what's wanted, there are at
least two non-proprietary options: afio and pax.  The Minix tar program
is pretty puny, but a real tar will do what Chris wants.  I've got the
1.07 version of GNU tar working under Minix 1.3.  It's still behaving
a little strangely, so I hesitate to post diffs just yet.  If there's
interest, I'll post after I'm sure it's stable.

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce Evans) (12/15/89)

In article <338@trux.UUCP> car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>How do I copy dir's and files (to my HD) while preserving the UID, accesses,
>mod time, etc...?
>
>cp won't do it, cpdir won't do it, tar won't do it, etc...

"cpdir -ms" will do it when run by root. Any decent tar will do it when run
by root. I think that includes the version recently posted by Klamer Schutte.
I use this little program:

#! /bin/sh
# Contents:  tarcp
# Wrapped by evans@ditsyda on Fri Dec 15 04:42:16 1989
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
if test -f 'tarcp' -a "${1}" != "-c" ; then
  echo shar: Will not clobber existing file \"'tarcp'\"
else
echo shar: Extracting \"'tarcp'\" \(52 characters\)
sed "s/^X//" >'tarcp' <<'END_OF_FILE'
Xtarg=$1
Xshift
Xtar cf - $* | ( cd $targ; tar xvvf -)
END_OF_FILE
if test 52 -ne `wc -c <'tarcp'`; then
    echo shar: \"'tarcp'\" unpacked with wrong size!
fi
# end of 'tarcp'
fi
echo shar: End of shell archive.