[comp.os.minix] Using 2 HD controllers

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (12/19/89)

         disk controllers with 4 hard disks on an XT clone. One controller
         and 2 hard disks for DOS - another controller and 2 hard disks for
         Minix.

I have a XT clone, MS-DOS 3.2, Minix 1.2 and the following HD configurations:

HD set #1 (DOS): OMTI 5510 HD ctrl, (2) ST-213 10Mb hard disks
HD set #2 (Minix): OMTI 5520 HD ctrl, (1) ST-213 10Mb disk, (1) ST-412 10Mb disk

When I want to run DOS, I plug in the HD controller for HD set #1.
When I want to run Minix, I plug in the HD controller for HD set #2.
Problem: I don't want to keep swapping controllers.

Ray of hope: My HD manual says that the controller's port base can be changed
from 320 to 324, 328, etc.... And that the BIOS ROM can be changed from
C800 to CA00.

Can I change the 2nd controller to use 324 and CA00 and install it?
Will DOS leave the second one alone? (Especially since the disks on
the 2nd controller won't be DOS disks).

Of course I'll have to change the Minix HD driver to use the new base of 324.

Since only one controller will be active for the particular OS, there
shouldn't be any problems with DRQ3 being shared... right? (Each OS would
know how to talk to the appropriate controller when necessary).

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (12/19/89)

[I am following up to the net rather than sender since I am asking a
question myself]

In article <341@trux.UUCP> car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>         disk controllers with 4 hard disks on an XT clone. One controller
>         and 2 hard disks for DOS - another controller and 2 hard disks for
>         Minix.

I was looking at doing this the other day.  If you put the second controler
at it's alternate address and on a different interrupt line, then disable
the ROM, DOS will never know about it.

You will then have to modify xt_wini.c to use the other address and
interrupt.  I think you will only have to change the #defines, but it could
be more subtile than that.  It will be a lot more work to support both
controlers, but I'd like to see it.

Becuase all IBM PC interrupt lines are driven with totem-pole drivers rather
than open-collector, you will still not be able to have both controlers on
the same interrupt line.  It may work, but you will eventually burn out one
or both of the driver chips.

The ROM in your second controler will be pretty worthless since (I assume)
it will assume you want the first drive (0x320), so just disable it.

Another problem is that xt_wini (since 1.3, if not earlier) only supports one
drive!  NEITHER drive is accessable if you change the number of drives in
xt_wini to 2.  I found this out last night when, after jury-riging the
second drive outside the case and accidently grounding out the power supply
(fireworks!).  At_wini supports two drives (I've seen it work), but that
controler is sufficently different that simply stealing code did not work.

Did Minix work with the OMTI controler at all??  I tried getting Minix to go
with an OMTI a few years ago, but gave up...
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  ncoverby@ndsuvax, overby@plains (Bitnet)

In article <3012@plains.UUCP>, overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) writes:
> In article <341@trux.UUCP> car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
> >         disk controllers with 4 hard disks on an XT clone. One controller
> >         and 2 hard disks for DOS - another controller and 2 hard disks for
> >         Minix.
>
> I was looking at doing this the other day.  If you put the second controler
> at it's alternate address and on a different interrupt line, then disable
> the ROM, DOS will never know about it.

I was just going to use one interrupt line (and one DMA request line: DRQ3)
in hopes that everything is open collector.

Since the OMTI controller has jumpers to change the I/O port base address
and the BIOS ROM base address I would <hope> that they intended to support
multiple HD controllers and used open collector drivers.

I'll have to give OMTI a call and ask them about this...

> You will then have to modify xt_wini.c to use the other address and
> interrupt.  I think you will only have to change the #defines, but it could
> be more subtile than that.  It will be a lot more work to support both
> controlers, but I'd like to see it.

I'm not intending to support both controllers under Minix - just one contoller.
But, I need Minix to ignore the controller with the DOS disks.

> Becuase all IBM PC interrupt lines are driven with totem-pole drivers rather
> than open-collector, you will still not be able to have both controlers on
> the same interrupt line.  It may work, but you will eventually burn out one
> or both of the driver chips.

See above.

> The ROM in your second controler will be pretty worthless since (I assume)
> it will assume you want the first drive (0x320), so just disable it.

Yeah, I'll move it to CA000 and hope that it doesn't get in the way.
Since I'm using xt_wini and not relying on the BIOS ROM for the HD geometry
information, I can do with out the ROM.

> Another problem is that xt_wini (since 1.3, if not earlier) only supports one
> drive!  NEITHER drive is accessable if you change the number of drives in
> xt_wini to 2.  I found this out last night when, after jury-riging the
> second drive outside the case and accidently grounding out the power supply
> (fireworks!).  At_wini supports two drives (I've seen it work), but that
> controler is sufficently different that simply stealing code did not work.

Hm. I'm running Minix 1.2 with xt_wini and using 2 hard drives. One is a
ST-213 (10Mb: 612 cyl, 2 heads) and the other is a ST-412 (10Mb: 306 cyl,
4 heads). It works great! It is very gratifying to do something like:
	mount /dev/hd6 /usr
	mount /dev/hd1 /user
	cd /user
	readfs -l /dev/hd6
And watch all the data move from hd6 to hd1 - works great!

> Did Minix work with the OMTI controler at all??  I tried getting Minix to go
> with an OMTI a few years ago, but gave up...

Yes, Minix 1.2 xt_wini worked with my OMTI 5510 controller (with 2 drives -
I think both drives have to have the same geometry) and Minix 1.2 xt_wini works
with my OMTI 5520 controller (with 2 drives, different geometry, needed
a couple small patches to xt_wini).