[comp.os.minix] Suggestion for PC wini test program under DOS

Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca (12/20/89)

Given the amount of troubles I and other people are having with xt_/at_wini.c
it seems to me that we should write a test program that runs under DOS (sorry
Andy!) that does the following:
Asks DOS what the drive under consideration looks like (int 13) by reading the
controller bios rom. Now the wini.c code would be executed (again under DOS
although we may have to reset the controller before trying to talk to it again
from DOS) except arrange to dump out the values that the MINIX code gets.
Assuming that matches then try reading either some or all of the sectors of
the DOS partition (note being sure to only read!) with both the DOS and the
minix code and insure that they are the same. Assuming that doesn't work it
would be nice (and shouldn't be too hard!) to allow a command line switch to
enable the various compile time switches so that the various options (xt/at
WD or ADAPTEC controllers etc) can be tried without recompiling the DOS
program. This should allow us to create an option file that could be used to
control the recompilation of the wini driver (and give us better confidence
that the driver is actually working correctly!) before having Minix up.
I will put this project on the end of my (long!) list of things to do, unless
someone else is interested in making one (hint! hint!).
Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (12/21/89)

In article <6523@nigel.udel.EDU>, Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca writes:
> Given the amount of troubles I and other people are having with xt_/at_wini.c
> it seems to me that we should write a test program that runs under DOS (sorry
> Andy!) that does the following:
> Asks DOS what the drive under consideration looks like (int 13) by reading the
> controller bios rom.

You can get this information by running the NORTON UTILITIES and selecting
the "TECHNICAL INFORMATION" item under the "DISK INFORMATION" menu.

My disk controller manual has a table of disk drive characteristics. (Which
is a reflection of the BIOS ROM table).

The program DISK MANAGER will determine the disk geometry and display it.

You can also poke around the ROM with debug to find the table. My table is
around C800:8020.

Of course, neither NORTON UTILITIES or DISK MANAGER are PD programs.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek