[comp.os.minix] minix distribution via

bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) (12/28/89)

In a recent article, cox@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Ben Cox) writes:

>If someone reading this would be willing to mail me uudecoded uncompressed
>source code on any format (360/720/1200/1440k) of floppy, please email me:  I
>am willing to pay for your shipping/etc. costs.

I'd like to add a ME TOO to that!  I'd be happy to reimburse for shipping,
handling, time, trouble, etc. costs.

Is there any wider interest in this?  Can we get get a minix user group
(mug ??) going which would maintain archives and ship by snail mail at
some reasonable, or even slightly unreasonable, cost per disk?

dpi@loft386.UUCP (Doug Ingraham) (12/29/89)

In article <1989Dec27.220226.24579@chinet.chi.il.us>, bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) writes:

> In a recent article, cox@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Ben Cox) writes:
>
> >If someone reading this would be willing to mail me uudecoded uncompressed
> >source code on any format (360/720/1200/1440k) of floppy, please email me:  I
> >am willing to pay for your shipping/etc. costs.
>
> I'd like to add a ME TOO to that!  I'd be happy to reimburse for shipping,
> handling, time, trouble, etc. costs.
>
> Is there any wider interest in this?  Can we get get a minix user group
> (mug ??) going which would maintain archives and ship by snail mail at
> some reasonable, or even slightly unreasonable, cost per disk?

I have been thinking about doing this for quite some time.  I have as a test
sent diskettes of source to people before and it worked out pretty well.  I
charged $5/diskette (1.2 meg and 360k).  I can't easily do 720k diskettes
and I can't do 1.44meg at all.  I certainly would have to charge more for
the 3.5 inch because they are so much more expensive.  I have archived
almost all messages back to May of 1988 for comp.os.minix.

I don't understand why Ben Cox would want the source uncompressed?  If
I were paying for this I would want the maximum compression possible.
I usually tar the contents of a subdirectory into a file.  Next I
compress the tar file.  Then I tar that file to 1 or more floppies.

If there is enough interest I could set up to have pretty fast (within
a few days) turnaround on orders.  A 1.5 usenet postings collection
seems a natural for a first collection.

Please email if interested!

--
Doug Ingraham (SysAdmin)
Lofty Pursuits (Public Access for Rapid City SD USA)