[comp.os.minix] st speedup discussion

I5110401%DBSTU1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (01/02/90)

HBO043@DJUKFA1 writes:
>- But you can avoid the 32bit multiplication generated by proc_addr
>  if you enlarge a proc table entry by some junk to 128 bytes. Any
>  reasonable compiler will generate a shift instruction to perform the
>  multiplication. This should be slightly faster than the additional
>  memory reference due to a pointer array proposed here some time ago
>  and it involves a minimal source code change.
>(This should concern PC-users, too])
>Any comments?
I do not really believe that shifting around for 7 bits is such a big win
against shifting twice and reading 2 words. Since the 68k cpu does not
have a barrel shifter shifting costs 2 cycles *per bit*, hence 14 cycles
plus the time for the instruction evaluation are needed for the former.
The latter costs 4 cycles for the shifts and 12 cycles for the memory
reference if i am not wrong here. Someone should take a look at the 68k
manuals here. However, the possible win is not that big that i am willing
to waste some memory for that.

--- Kai-Uwe Bloem, I5110401@DBSTU1.BITNET, TU Braunschweig, w/germany ---