From: evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce Evans)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: 386 C cross-compiler for Minix-PC
Date: 14 Nov 89 13:18:05 GMT

After version 1.4b of Minix is posted, I will post additional source files
to allow it to run in 32-bit mode. Currently, the only way to bootstrap the
32-bit system is to use my experimental C compiler. This is unfinished but
good enough for most Minix sources.

The compiler (binaries only, sorry) is available from Jaime da Silva's BBS,
in the file BRUCECC.TAZ in the MINIX file area.  The BBS runs under DOS, thus
the squished filename.  It's a tar file compressed -b12.  The Mars Hotel
BBS is at 1-301-277-9408; people can look in the Minix Information Sheet
for more details.

The CRC's and files are:

33211  20480 386lib.tar		- assembler files for 32-bit mode
30177  73728 86lib.tar		- assembler files for 16-bit mode
32518    488 README		- setup info
34503  33124 as			- assembler
41284   5808 bcc		- compiler driver
09421   7032 bcc.bugs		- compiler bugs
09673   2107 bcc.doc		- subminimal documentation
41909  19124 ld			- linker
33612  61580 sc			- compiler

Note there are no binaries for the libraries - these must be rebuilt from the
Minix sources. The compiler also generates 16-bit code, so you can try it out
by building the 16-bit library and a few programs. The linker uses a
nonstandard tree of dependencies, which means it doesn't care about the
library order but doesn't like duplicate names - the "fake" functions in the
library must not be used.

I have no definite plans to make available the 32-bit version of this compiler.
At worst, you can reboot from 32-bit mode to 16-bit mode to compile 32-bit
programs.

Gcc is better except in the near term. I use a version of it modified to
produce output for my assembler. Currently, this requires a foreign system
to bootstrap. Version 1.35 was able to recompile itself (with difficulty) on
my 2M system, but in 1.36 one file is too large. Another problem using gcc
(and gas?) is that it cannot handle the 16-bit code needed to start up the
kernel.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@ditsyda.oz.au
========

The file brucecc.tar.Z is now also available via anonymous ftp from the
host hobbes.cs.umd.edu (IP address 128.8.128.41), in the minix directory.
Unfortunately, I can't honor individual requests to send this by mail.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds