[comp.os.minix] as and ld rewrite

pa1285@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (David L. Brown) (01/07/90)

I am considering, as a project, a rewrite of the PC-Minix assembler and
linker.  The current program, asld, is a combination of the two unix programs
as, and ld.   This scheme requires that library references must be
assembled at link time, along with the entire program.  When working
with even a moderatly large program, changing one file can result in
another ten minute link (on my machine at least).

What I need is any information that is available about the PC-Minix assembler.
I am sure that it contains some quirks.  The language that is assembles
is not completely defined.  I can tell some things by the code the
compiler generates, and by existing assembly programs, but more extensive
information would be useful.

I appreciate any help that I receive, and would like to be able to
produce a package that could replace asld.

David L. Brown
dbrown@ucsd.edu

dcd@tc.fluke.COM (David Dyck) (01/08/90)

In article <5948@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1285@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (David L. Brown) writes:
>I am considering, as a project, a rewrite of the PC-Minix assembler and
>linker.  The current program, asld, is a combination of the two unix programs
>as, and ld. ..........

Did you read the posting about Bruce Evans bcc package?
It contains an as, and and ld.

>What I need is any information that is available about the PC-Minix assembler.

Read as.doc in the minix 1.5.0 postings.  It is in posting 1.

            David Dyck
    Domain: dcd@tc.fluke.COM

croes@fwi.uva.nl (Felix A. Croes) (01/09/90)

In article <5948@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1285@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (David L. Brown) writes:
>I am considering, as a project, a rewrite of the PC-Minix assembler and
>linker.  The current program, asld, is a combination of the two unix programs
>as, and ld.

You might consider porting the loader I wrote to Minix PC. The present version
works only for Minix ST, but porting should be easy. My ld will be part of
Frans Meulebroeks' semi-official Minix ST 1.5.0 update.

--

Felix Croes    (croes@fwi.uva.nl)