[comp.os.minix] Snags in 1.5.0 update

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (01/06/90)

Can anyone explain how you patch ls and more in the 1.5 postings?  The 1.3
patch copes with every other file without complaint, but not these two, even
with maximum stack space and 1MB of /tmp.  Does the 1.5 patch work, or is
there some trick I haven't found?

On a different topic, what is the significance of partition types 0x80 and
0x81 (partition.h).  The last I heard, MINIX had no partition type.  To
suddenly have two seems an embarasse de richesse - what programs use these
values?

Just for the record, 1.5 runs on a 10MHz XT with a DTK motherboard and 40Ms
Seagate ST251.  The order of a few include files needed changing, and there
are several pointer warnings in compilation, but all seems relatively ok.  I'm
getting problems with the DEL key abort, which logs me out when used at the
'more' prompt, but my shell and more are both 1.3; I'll see if the problem
continues with the 1.5 shell.

Two nice programs - ast's backup and (whoevers) unshar; both lifesavers.  And
thanks to Dave Lawyer for the portio warning - I'd made exactly that mistake.

Good luck - Will

"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (01/10/90)

In article <1101@crash.cts.com> cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:
>Can anyone explain how you patch ls and more in the 1.5 postings?  The 1.3
>patch copes with every other file without complaint, but not these two, even
>with maximum stack space and 1MB of /tmp.  Does the 1.5 patch work, or is
>there some trick I haven't found?

Do them by hand.  Since Andy ran the source through cb, virtually every
line is different.  So the cdif files consist mainly of large hunks that
need to be pasted together with little pieces of the original files.
I used sed to cut the first 2 bytes off of each line in the cdif and
then extracted the proper pieces of the original and cdif files with
mined.  Stick everything together with cat and you're done.  I got
patched files matching the crcs on my first attempt.

I think the problem is the size of the hunks in these particular cdifs.
I don't see how the 1.5 patch could do any better.  It's still limited
to <64K of stack!

Paul Allen
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen