[comp.os.minix] 1.5.0 upgrade ls, more, de, and kermit.

bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) (01/09/90)

LS and MORE -

In a recent posting, cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:

>Can anyone explain how you patch ls and more in the 1.5 postings?  The 1.3
>patch copes with every other file without complaint, but not these two, even
>with maximum stack space and 1MB of /tmp.  Does the 1.5 patch work, or is
>there some trick I haven't found?

I had the same problem, took the patches and the LS and MORE sources to work,
built patch on *REAL* unix (where the autoconfigure works like a dream),
patched the LS and MORE sources there, carried the resulting patched sources
back home, and compiled them on minix.  Three times around the barn to do
something simple, and requiring access to a *REAL* unix system to support
minix upgrade, but it worked.  The 1.5.0 LS which resulted still doesn't
work right, but that's another story.

DE and KERMIT -

I haven't been able to get DE or KERMIT running, though.

I get a bunch of unresolved references at link time with DE.

Minix asld runs out of memory with KERMIT, even if run direct from the
command line instead of under make and cc, even with the minix root on
/dev/hd3 instead of /dev/ram.  I don't have an easy way out of this one
by carrying it in to work.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to build minix DE and KERMIT on
minix?

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (01/10/90)

bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) writes:

>>In a recent posting, cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:
>>Can anyone explain how you patch ls and more in the 1.5 postings?
  [stuff missing]
>I had the same problem, took the patches and the LS and MORE sources to work,
>built patch on *REAL* unix (where the autoconfigure works like a dream),
  [more stuff missing]
> The 1.5.0 LS which resulted still doesn't work right...

Of the three people who wrote to me after my posting, two had patched on
Vaxen and one didn't know the answer either!  Personally (though I am too
polite to say so) I consider the use of a Vax in these circumstances deuced
unsporting - like shooting a sitting fox.  Wish I had one, though - (no, not
a fox); perhaps if I stood my XT in an extra-strong Gro-Bag for a week
or two...  I had a copy of PSH's original ls posting (which works fine) ready
to re-post, but ast beat me to it.  More is in three large chunks, and can
be put together by hand.

>DE and KERMIT -

>I haven't been able to get DE or KERMIT running, though.

>Minix asld runs out of memory with KERMIT, even if run direct from the
>command line instead of under make and cc, even with the minix root on
>/dev/hd3 instead of /dev/ram.  I don't have an easy way out of this one
>by carrying it in to work.

Me too. I can't get Kermit through asld, with a 1Mb /tmp and maximum size on
on asld, either under 1.3 or 1.5, although
HIGGS_M%P1.LANCSP.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mike Higgs) writes:

>I have compiled it under 1.3 minix and it compiled OK ( 3 warnings ) and
>ran out of space on root device a few times but it doesn't work properly.

Anyone succeeded?  If so, how?  What can be lost from Kermit to make it
smaller?

Back to Bill Mitchell:
>I get a bunch of unresolved references at link time with DE.

I had to do the following to get de to compile, and it now seems to work:

1. Add the recent patches to lib.h and dirent.c.
2. Remove references to include/fs, which no longer exists. I copied the .h
   files needed from minix/fs to de's directory.
3. Keep -Di8088 defined in the compilation.
4. Change uid on line 359 of de_recover.c to uid_t.
5. Add the macros major and minor from inodes.c to de.c.  I'm not sure
   which file they go in - only one, probably de.c.

>Anybody have any suggestions on how to build minix DE and KERMIT on
>minix?

Hope this helps.  Has any one disentangled nroff?

Good luck - Will

"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr
ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

bunnell@wizard.asel.udel.edu (Tim Bunnell) (01/10/90)

Will Rose <cwr%PNET01.CTS.COM@vm1.nodak.edu> writes:
   <stuff deleted up to discussion of problems compiling/linking kermit>

>Anyone succeeded?  If so, how?  What can be lost from Kermit to make it
>smaller?

   <more stuff deleted>

I noticed that kermit calls a debug function that gets converted to a dummy
if debugging is disabled.  Tried completly removing all calls to the debug
function (along with their associated string storage space, stack manipulation
code etc.) in hopes that this would reduce the code enough to allow linking.

>Good luck - Will

It was a long shot anyway and it did not work...

Tim Bunnell
<bunnell@henry.asel.udel.edu>