[comp.os.minix] On The Phone with Prentice-Hall

cox@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Ben Cox) (01/02/90)

I just got off the phone with Prentice-Hall.  I was merely trying to get some
info on how *many* diskettes were being shipped to me (I have just ordered 1.3
from them).  I called 1 (201) 767-5937.  Do not call this number.  They don't
know.  Anything.  I asked them; they gave me a tech number, which had been
disconnected -- "No further information is available.  Please check the number
and try your call again."  I called them back and they transferred me to some
secretary who knew *exactly* the same as them: nothing.  She gave me the number
of the software department.  I called: it was a security guard company.  They
didn't know anything about software, or even Prentice-Hall for that matter.  I
was ticked.  I live in IL, and it costs MONEY to call New Jersey.  I called
the first number again.  They gave me AN 800 PHONE NUMBER!  I said, "You mean
I could have ordered from them in the first place!?!?!"  "Oh yes, of course."
Now I was pissed.  I called them.  They told me what I needed to know, and some
other stuff too.  But, I don't believe them.  They told me that there are only
5 diskettes.  They said it was for XT/AT (read: 360k diskettes).  Sure.  Right.
Like MINIX with a compiler and source and everything fits on 5 360k diskettes.
I'll believe it when I see it.  BTW, it was too late to have my order changed
to specify 1.2 MB diskettes (I had forgotten to specify before).  Of course,
I would much prefer 1.2 MB diskettes, as it would require 4 times as many on
360k as on 1.2 MB.

Does any kind soul out there feel like telling me how many diskettes I can
expect to see in the mail?

And has anybody else had troubles with ignorant P-H phone droids?

BTW, the toll-free number of the P-H Software Dept. is 1-800-624-0023.

Ben Cox
b-cox2@uiuc.edu (this gets forwarded to me wherever I am)

holm@handel.mpr.ca (Terrence W. Holm) (01/05/90)

In article <2648@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> b-cox2@uiuc.edu writes:
> I just got off the phone with Prentice-Hall.
> And has anybody else had troubles with ignorant P-H phone droids?

Yes, many people have. We all know the problem is not restricted
to Prentice-Hall employees either (have you ever tried to get useful
information from Microsoft?). P-H has had problems with "software" as
a new "book", but there have been few complaints over the past year
from the network, so I am led to believe they are improving.

(And Usenet is a wonderful way to complain, if 0.1% of the buyers
complained their broadcasting of the sad news would kill a product.)

Don't know why I should defend P-H: It took 8 months from the time
I ordered Minix v1.1 until my interaction with them was resolved. I
received an incorrect order, was told the item was out of stock, was
double billed, etc, etc.

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (01/05/90)

In article <1993@eric.mpr.ca>, holm@handel.mpr.ca (Terrence W. Holm) writes...

]In article <2648@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> b-cox2@uiuc.edu writes:

All these PH horror stories make me feel like a geek.
I've had nothing but cordiality and complete competence
in my two Minix dealings with them (they didn't even
want money up front, which I thought was pretty decent).
The one and only time I ever called Microsoft (since
Terrence mentions them), I got a thoroughly helpful
person with *unusually* good phone manners.  Must be
extra lucky, I guess.

If some kind soul has 1.5.0 nos. 49 and 70 and would
mail them to me, I'll be grateful.  Otherwise, I guess
I can figure out where to ftp 'em from.

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu====UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (01/05/90)

In article <2916@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
 (various horror stories)

I have been dealing with P-H since April 1989 and have still not received 1.3.
I wanted it on XT disks.

   Attempt 1: delivered 1.2 for XT
   Attempt 2: delivered 1.3 for AT
   Attempt 3: delivered 1.3 for XT, with faulty disk
   Attempt 4: delivered 1.2 for XT (again)
   Attempt 5: delivered 1.2 for XT (again)

This brings me up to the present time.
All this despite detailed conversations with them. Sigh.
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
*** NB *** Do NOT use the return path in the article header ***************

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (01/07/90)

In article <1993@eric.mpr.ca> holm@handel.UUCP (Terrence W. Holm) writes:
>Don't know why I should defend P-H ...

You shouldn't.  But if people post information about specific incidents
telling what they screwed up, there is a chance they can fix it.  One thing
that is now obvious is that ordering by ISBN number greatly eliminates
confusion, since their computer speaks ISBN, even if the folks answering
the phone don't know a floppy disk from an interrupt controller.

All in all, they ARE improving.  I get quite a bit of feedback from sources
outside the net, and the volume is definitely going down (thank goodness).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

HEEB@ibm.com (Hansruedi Heeb (914) 945 1904) (01/09/90)

Speaking about ISBN numbers: I have not yet seen the one of
the 1.3 distribuition on the net. So here it is:

MINIX + ref. manual (for AT): ISBN 0-13-584418-5   prize: $ 119

(I got that that after *numerous* phone calls to PH).
You can order 1.3 only by ISBN, since the "title" they have in
the computer is identical to 1.2

Hansruedi Heeb

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (01/11/90)

In article <5056@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

> One thing
> that is now obvious is that ordering by ISBN number greatly eliminates
> confusion, since their computer speaks ISBN, even if the folks answering
> the phone don't know a floppy disk from an interrupt controller.

This may generally be a safe thing to do, but when the MINIX registration
card for the Atari ST reads:  "___ Copies of MINIX Reference Manual (ISBN
0-13-584400-2" and I get "MINIX for the IBM PC, XT, and AT", I can somewhat
understand since everything is probably the same.  BUT, when the same card
reads: "___ I would like to receive all MINIX updates for $29.95" and I check
this off, I would expect that a Prentice-Hall supplied registration card
would at least be READ by P-H.  What I got was "MINIX 1.3 Upgrade Kit" for
the IBM PC.  If anyone has succeeded in feeding 5.25" disks into a 3.5" drive
I would like to hear how I should proceed... While you're at it, instructions
on running 808x code on a 68000 would be appreciated...   :)

To date (original package shipped Oct 5th), P-H have only responded by sending
more bills.  :(

> Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Oh well... I guess it's gotta be ST V1.1 for a while yet...

Pierre Fortin (fortinp@bnr.ca)