[comp.os.minix] Failed Mail

Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com (Paul Dickson) (01/03/90)

    Date:  2 January 1990 11:54 mst
    From:  Info-Minix Maintenance <minix at PLAINS.NODAK.EDU>
    Subject:  Failed Mail

    Hello,
      As the message offers, I need help in determining why mail from "me" (the
    minix list) isn't being delivered.

      The following looks like a local problem.  Would you please check it out
    and let me know if the problem is temporary or not?

    Thanks,
    Glen Overby <minix@plains.nodak.edu>

    > Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 03:06 MST
    > From: Network_Server.Daemon@SYSTEM-M.PHX.BULL.COM
    > Subject: Unable to deliver mail from MINIX-L@VM1.NoDak.EDU
    > To: MINIX-L@VM1.NoDak.EDU
    >
    > Recipient kpf.mbx at SYSTEM-M.PHX.BULL.COM failed:
    >  Allocation could not be performed..

Sorry about this problem, but mailboxes on this system can only hold a
megabyte of data.  Could we have some posting rules to "limit" people
from dumping so much without sufficent warning.  It wouldn't be quite so
bad if the the amount had been spread over a week, and over a lesser
period would be okay if it wasn't a holiday period.

If I hadn't been logged in on Christmas Eve, half of the Minix 1.5.0
would have been returned.  As it was, I caught it after it returned only
one message.

I really don't mind 500K every couple of days, but greater than 1.5MB is
a little too much.

          -Paul Dickson

Dickson @ System-M.Phx.Bull.Com

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (01/07/90)

In article <7246@nigel.udel.EDU> Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com (Paul Dickson) writes:
>It wouldn't be quite so
>bad if the the amount had been spread over a week, and over a lesser
>period would be okay if it wasn't a holiday period.

Actually, I had heard from other people that the holiday period was
ideal because the net was underloaded for a change.  I did split the
posting, of course, only each lump was pretty big.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L. Bailey) (01/11/90)

In article <5055@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>Actually, I had heard from other people that the holiday period was
>ideal because the net was underloaded for a change.  I did split the
>posting, of course, only each lump was pretty big.
>
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

THe only problem with this was that all but the last couple of pieces
scrolled off of our system before we returned from the semester break!

Bob Bailey rlb@cs.odu.edu