[comp.os.minix] 1.5.0 readclock and /dev/port problem

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (01/10/90)

I finally have 1.5.0 working after using the new fdisk to mark my
/dev/hd1 partition as an old minix one (I have the root image on it).
My readclock didn't work on an AT clone (AST brand --same as creator of
Minix) and I tracked the problem to not having a /dev/port.  But after I
installed a /dev/port 1 4 (major/minor #'s) as a block (b) device, an
attempt to readclock will crash the system hard (cntrl-alt-del will not
reboot).  Does anyone know why?  Have I used the correct format for
mknoding /dev/port?  Under 1.3 the readclock worked fine.
				Dave Lawyer

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (01/11/90)

In article <4073@orion.cf.uci.edu> dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) writes:
>......							  But after I
>installed a /dev/port 1 4 (major/minor #'s) as a block (b) device, an
>attempt to readclock will crash the system hard (cntrl-alt-del will not
>reboot). .....
>				Dave Lawyer

I've just changed /dev/port to a character (c) device and this fixed my
readclock problem.  A few days ago I changed the mode for opening
/dev/mem and /dev/port to O_RDWR in the two library functions:
peekpoke.s and portio.s as suggested by Tim Bunnell.

				Dave Lawyer

dcd@tc.fluke.COM (David Dyck) (01/12/90)

In article <4073@orion.cf.uci.edu> dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) writes:
>My readclock didn't work on an AT clone (AST brand --same as creator of
>Minix) and I tracked the problem to not having a /dev/port.

From Bruce Evans protected mode INSTALLation notes

13. Make the new readclock and then the port device for readclock to use:

    su root
    mknod /dev/port c 1 4

and fix the memory device for it:

    rm /dev/mem
    mknod /dev/mem c 1 1

These must go on the (old) root DISK.

I don't believe that this has been mentioned in the 1.5.0 notes

            David Dyck
    Domain: dcd@tc.fluke.COM