[net.unix-wizards] linking between users

greg (07/26/82)

We have a program called 'talk' that simply sets your terminal into cbreak
mode and as you type characters, outputs them to another tty (by opening
the other tty ('natch)). It VERY simple, if two people want to talk, they
both just type:
talk <person>
and the program clears a line on the other persons terminal and starts
printing away. Very simple. A bit obnoxious if the other person doesnt
want to talk, but we dont have problems...Works great.
I'm also working on a program much like the "autocom" program on PLATO,
which will allow multiple talking channels (8 people per channel, all
with their own window on the screen, public and private channels,
channels can be set for 'topics' of discussion)...I doubt I'll even
start on it till september....I'm pretty backed up here...

greg (07/26/82)

Argh, forgot to sign again!
		Greg Travis
		(decvax!pur-ee!isrnix!greg)

G.LEB@MIT-EECS@MIT-AI@sri-unix (08/07/82)

From: lawrence e bakst <G.LEB@MIT-EECS@MIT-AI>
Date: 20 Jul 1982 0049-EDT
long ago we changed write to set cbreak mode. this allows you to
see what the other uuser typing character by character.  others
have done this too.  i just mention it because once you've got it
you can''t live without it.

larry
-------