[comp.os.minix] Mounting old file systems under 1.5.0

fredriks@cbnewse.ATT.COM (lars.fredriksen) (01/09/90)

Mark Goodwin writes:

>* Use the 'n' command to set a 1.3 partition to MNX-OLD. The type
>  value should be 128 (i.e. 0x80).
>
>* Reboot 1.5.0 and you should be able to mount an old 1.3 file system!!
>Mark Goodwin
>Programmer @ Monash Uni. Comp. Sci.

	I successfully managed to mount a 1.3 file system without any pre-arrange-
ments, running 1.5.0. Could seem like 1.5.0 defaults to OLD_MINIX format if it
can't find the new code?? Or maybe NO PARITION??

	Sincerely
		Lars Fredriksen

bunnell@wizard.asel.udel.edu (Tim Bunnell) (01/10/90)

lars.fredriksen writes:
>Mark Goodwin writes:
>>
>>* Use the 'n' command to set a 1.3 partition to MNX-OLD. The type
>>  value should be 128 (i.e. 0x80).
>>
>>* Reboot 1.5.0 and you should be able to mount an old 1.3 file system!!
>>Mark Goodwin
>>Programmer @ Monash Uni. Comp. Sci.
>

>	I successfully managed to mount a 1.3 file system without any pre-arrange-
>ments, running 1.5.0. Could seem like 1.5.0 defaults to OLD_MINIX format if it
>can't find the new code?? Or maybe NO PARITION??

I think the OLD/NEW distinction only applies when the filesystem was built on
a partition that started on an odd sector.  Old minix filesystems were rounded
to start on the nearest even sector number.  My root filesystem built, under
1.3, works just fine with a code of 0x00 because it starts on an even sector.
If you have a file system built with 1.3 on a partition that starts with an
odd sector, you really need to flag it as OLD_MINIX or risk having it trashed.
I'm pretty sure that OLD_MINIX is not the default in at_wini!

Tim Bunnell
<bunnell@henry.asel.udel.edu>

mark@bruce.OZ (Mark Goodwin) (01/10/90)

From article by bunnell@wizard.asel.udel.edu (Tim Bunnell):
	> lars.fredriksen writes:
	>>Mark Goodwin writes:
	[deleted]

> I think the OLD/NEW distinction only applies when the filesystem was built on
> a partition that started on an odd sector.  Old minix filesystems were rounded
> to start on the nearest even sector number.  My root filesystem built, under
> 1.3, works just fine with a code of 0x00 because it starts on an even sector.
> If you have a file system built with 1.3 on a partition that starts with an
> odd sector, you really need to flag it as OLD_MINIX or risk having it trashed.
> I'm pretty sure that OLD_MINIX is not the default in at_wini!

I have checked and you are quite right. My 1.3c partitions have an
odd numbered start. Mount reported "invalid file system" when I tried
to mount them (before changing them to type 0x80 (OLD_MINIX)).

Mark.

rbthomas@frogpond.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) (01/14/90)

% I have checked and you are quite right. My 1.3c partitions have an
% odd numbered start. Mount reported "invalid file system" when I tried
% to mount them (before changing them to type 0x80 (OLD_MINIX)).
%
% Mark.

How do you check?  What do you look for?  Where?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Rick

mark@bruce.OZ (Mark Goodwin) (01/15/90)

From article by rbthomas@frogpond.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas):

> How do you check?  What do you look for?  Where?
> Inquiring minds want to know...
> Rick

Use the 'p' command of fdisk. The 'base' cylinder
for each partition is either odd or even. If it's *odd*, then a pre-1.5.0
file system residing on that partition needs to be changed to type 128
(for mount under 1.5.0). If it's *even*, you're in luck (apparently).

Mark.

evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce Evans) (01/16/90)

In article <1789@bruce.OZ> mark@bruce.OZ (Mark Goodwin) writes:
>From article by rbthomas@frogpond.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas):
>>
>> How do you check?  What do you look for?  Where?
>> Inquiring minds want to know...
>> Rick
>
>Use the 'p' command of fdisk. The 'base' cylinder

Everyone should run fdisk and see what it says. It is very safe to run it
read-only. This is done by making /dev/hd0 readable to your login account
but not writable. Please report any inconsistencies.

There will be an improved version of fdisk in 1.5.1, with better messages
about the odd/even stuff.

>for each partition is either odd or even. If it's *odd*, then a pre-1.5.0
>file system residing on that partition needs to be changed to type 128
>(for mount under 1.5.0). If it's *even*, you're in luck (apparently).

However, if the partition starts on an odd boundary and has a post-1.5.0
file system, type 0x80 will not work.

Don't use type 0x80 for new file systems. Use 0x81. If this clashes with
another system, use any "unknown" type.

For old file systems, 0x80 is not the best fix and really shouldn't have
been in 1.5.0. Use the 'B' command to add 1 to the base partition in the
partition table. The 1.5.1 fdisk has better messages about this too.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@ditsyda.oz.au