[comp.os.minix] Elvis and Virecover

bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) (01/17/90)

Firstoff, kudos, appreciation, and many thanks to Steve Kirkendall
for the elvis package.

One problem I've had with elvis - screen display in insert mode isn't
right.  I see the first char inserted OK, but overwrite after that.
I've looked at insert.c, redraw.c, and curses.[hc] and all looks well
to me (not that I'm sure I'd spot a problem quickly).  I then looked
in the 1.5.0 /etc/termcap, and find no "im" entry.  I tried adding
an "im" entry of ":im=\E[1@:" based on my almost complete ignorance
of termcap and curses, supplemented by a peek at console.c, but that
didn't fix the problem.  Anybody got a solution for this?

On virecover - in a recent posting, bc@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (Ben cox) writes:

>I have been unsuccessful in compiling virecover, no matter which compiler
>flags I set.  I always run out of memory, which seems absurd.

Me too.  I noticed that it was "opt" which was running out of memory.
Since virecover.c is not very big, I'm guessing this is a compiler bug.
Nothing I tried helped the situation.  Since I remembered 1.2 using a
different compiler, I dusted off my 1.2 disks and used them to bring
up a floppy-only minix.  Elvis virecover.c compiled OK using that, and
I moved the resulting executable to my 1.5.0 system.  Hope I never
need to recompile it.