[comp.os.minix] More Elvis Bugs

bc@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (B.C.) (01/16/90)

I reported a while ago that Elvis hangs when you try to edit a zero-length
file.  Well, it not only hangs then, but also whenever you try to edit ANY
file that you can't read (no read permission), unless the file just plain
doesn't exist.

Also, real vi aborts a replace when you type "r" ESC.  Elvis actually does the
replace -- it replaces the current character with an ESC ("^[").

Ben Cox
b-cox2@uiuc.edu

alex@hpqtdla.HP.COM (Alex Ballantyne) (01/16/90)

	I've compiled Elvis on my system, but running it causes a
	"Bus Error" before anything happens. My system is a 1040 ST with
	a single sided floppy, and a double sided floppy. I'm running
	more-or-less-as-it-comes MINIX!

	I've tried it on an HP-UX system and it always hangs after
	clearing the screen and printing the message line, whatever
	the file status.

	Any hints and tips will be most welcome.

	Alex Ballantyne,
	Hewlett Packard Ltd.
	Queensferry Telecoms. Div.
	South Queensferry,
	Scotland, U.K.

	alex@hpsqf.sqf.hp.com

walker@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Rick Walker) (01/17/90)

> / hpl-opus:comp.os.minix / alex@hpqtdla.HP.COM (Alex Ballantyne) /  5:42 am  Jan 16, 1990 /
>
> 	I've compiled Elvis on my system, but running it causes a
> 	"Bus Error" before anything happens. My system is a 1040 ST with
> 	a single sided floppy, and a double sided floppy. I'm running
> 	more-or-less-as-it-comes MINIX!
>
> 	I've tried it on an HP-UX system and it always hangs after
> 	clearing the screen and printing the message line, whatever
> 	the file status.

I had this same problem.  If I hit return a few (8) times, then elvis
would finally start up the edit.  It turned out to be a problem in my
existing .exrc script.  Elvis wasn't able to parse the (") comment
characters so was hanging up on a "unrecognized character - hit any key
to continue" message until I had walked past all 8 comments in the .exrc.
Deleting the comment lines in the .exrc file fixed everything up.  I haven't
gotten around to fixing elvis' .exrc parser yet...

--
Rick Walker
...!hplabs!walker

jf@unido.UUCP (Jan-Hinrich Fessel) (01/17/90)

In article <1720012@hpqtdla.HP.COM> alex@hpqtdla.HP.COM (Alex Ballantyne) writes:
>	I've compiled Elvis on my system, but running it causes a
>	"Bus Error" before anything happens. My system is a 1040 ST with
>	a single sided floppy, and a double sided floppy. I'm running
>	more-or-less-as-it-comes MINIX!
>
>	Any hints and tips will be most welcome.
Me too,
apart from using the updated kernel posted a while ago.
Symptoms are the same, and elvis is not even smart enough to
restore previous tty settings on abnormal termination, so
i will stick with stevie, for I studied it's sources and modified
the signal handling in order to get my tty restored no matter
what happens to stevie. (I also prefer wrapping long lines to scrolling
them sideways)

--Jan-Hinrich