[comp.os.minix] Minix and 386's

gg10@prism.gatech.EDU (Galloway, Greg) (01/15/90)

Are there any folks out there using a 386 and Minix?

How much memory are you using?  I have heard minix will work above 640k.

What types of hard drives are you using?  MFM, RLL, ESDI, SCSI, 1:1 versions?

If anyone has had great success with a particular 386 setup, I would
like to hear their comments or recommendations.

Thanks,

Greg Galloway
gg10@prism.gatech.edu

gg10@prism.gatech.EDU (Galloway, Greg) (01/16/90)

just a few more questions guys:

in regards to purchasing a 386 to run minix, do i have to have a 1.2M fd
or can i get by with a 1.44M?

does the c compiler output 386-specific assembly code and does it make
use of a 387 chip if one is installed?

thanks,

Greg Galloway
Georgia Institute of Technology
gg10@prism.gatech.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (01/16/90)

In article <4864@hydra.gatech.EDU> gg10@prism.gatech.EDU (Galloway, Greg) writes:
>Are there any folks out there using a 386 and Minix?

We have a Laser 386 here, and MINIX works fine on it.  In general, as long
as the machine has an MFM hard disk and a mono/CGA/Hercules/EGA video card
your should be ok.  RLL controllers and VGA video is not really established
yet.

Andy Tanenbaum

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (01/18/90)

In article <5114@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <4864@hydra.gatech.EDU> gg10@prism.gatech.EDU (Galloway, Greg) writes:
>>Are there any folks out there using a 386 and Minix?
>
>We have a Laser 386 here, and MINIX works fine on it.  In general, as long
>as the machine has an MFM hard disk and a mono/CGA/Hercules/EGA video card
>your should be ok.  RLL controllers and VGA video is not really established
>yet.

I guess I'm on the cutting edge.  :-)  I've got Minix running on a 386
with a DTC RLL controller and a VGA.  I'm currently running Bruce's 286
protected mode version of 1.3, but will be up to 1.5 shortly.  The only
change related to the RLL disk was to tell fsck that the number of
sectors per track is 26.  Several programs needed to change because I
have a big disk and my Minix partition is >32M.  The VGA works fine
as a 24x80 monochrome text display.  1024x768 with windows in color
comes later!

Paul Allen
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen