[comp.os.minix] Problem with clr

jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) (03/14/89)

BINGO!

The recent message regarding the long delay to do a clr (sorry, I don't
have the reference) was answered by ast, to the effect that "you should
do a chmem +8000 clr" (or something close to that) because stdio would
take forever if enough memory was not available.

This has solved a problem that I was having with "more" which took
forever to display the next screen, when the space bar was pressed to
show the next screen.  Doing a "chmem +8000 more" solved the problem.

The real proble

michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Bloxham) (03/15/89)

In article <10764@louie.udel.EDU>, jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) writes...

>BINGO!
>
>The recent message regarding the long delay to do a clr (sorry, I don't
>have the reference) was answered by ast, to the effect that "you should
>do a chmem +8000 clr" (or something close to that) because stdio would
>take forever if enough memory was not available.
>
>This has solved a problem that I was having with "more" which took
>forever to display the next screen, when the space bar was pressed to
>show the next screen.  Doing a "chmem +8000 more" solved the problem.
>
>The real proble

Regarding 'more' - I haven't been able to get this to work because
I am unsure of how I need to have the system setup it /etc. I get an error
of 'invalid terminal' (or maybe its unknown terminal). CLR works as does
stevie, etc. with TERM defined as 'minix' and a termcap with minix
escape codes that work with the other programs. Any ideas??

Michael L. Bloxham
michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu

jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) (02/02/90)

Thee is a problem with the clr command that will cause
a memory fault is the TERM parameter is not set to the
user's terminal type. The problem is that "tgetent" is
called before the program determnes if TERM is present
with "getenv". The following cdiff will correct the
peoblem.

54599   1518 /usr/src/commands/clr.c

Jack Dunn

begin 666 clr.shar
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G<FUC87 @9&5F:6YI=&EO;B!F;W(@)%1%4DTB*3L*6" @("!]"B\*

end

ghelmer@DSUVAX.uucp (Guy Helmer) (02/02/90)

In article <9858@nigel.udel.EDU>, jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) writes:
> Thee is a problem with the clr command that will cause
> a memory fault is the TERM parameter is not set to the
> user's terminal type. The problem is that "tgetent" is
> called before the program determnes if TERM is present
> with "getenv". The following cdiff will correct the
> peoblem.
> Jack Dunn

Shouldn't tgetent be the one checking for environment variable "TERM" ?
--
Guy Helmer                              ...!uunet!loft386!dsuvax!ghelmer
Dakota State University Computing Services           helmer@sdnet.bitnet