[comp.os.minix] A solution , and a comment

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (02/01/90)

>comp.sources.minix.ibm
>comp.sources.minix.st
>comp.sources.minix.amiga
>comp.sources.minix.mac (when it comes...)
>comp.os.minix (of course this already exists.)

This is NOT a good idea. We shouldn't split this group into system dependent
groups. As everybody who's been following this group the last couple of weeks
should know by now it is important to keep an eye on all  systems. Just
look at the update for Minix ST to 1.5.0 - without the stuff from the PC
update it's impossible to do it because you need the sources and diffs. And
if there are groups like ....minix.pc, ...minix.st and so on, I don't believe
the stuff which is relevant to the PC would make it into the other groups.
Therefore, to keep track of everything, you'd have to read all groups anyway.
Result: - pollution of namespace without saving anything to the reader.

However, maybe the group should be split into, say, comp.os.minix.d and
comp.os.minix.sources. Then anybody not caring for the discussions could
stop reading comp.os.minix.d

Over and out :-)

M. Boening
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/03/90)

In article <773@nixpbe.UUCP> mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>Then anybody not caring for the discussions could
>stop reading comp.os.minix.d
I think that would be unwise.  You might miss comments like:  DON"T RUN
TEST20 ON YOUR HARD DISK.  IT WILL WIPE IT OUT.  The only sane thing to
do is read the discussion too, in which case splitting it wins little.
The only thing it might do is make it easier to find things.  If the volume
keeps increasing, at some point we might have to consider something.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)