[comp.os.minix] Useless busywork

richard@ucf-cs.ucf.edu (02/02/90)

/* Written  9:32 am  Jan 24, 1990 by ghelmer@DSUVAX.UUCP in ucf-cs.ucf.edu:comp.os.minix */
> Maybe a Minix User's Group could send out complete source disks upon
> receipt of money and the original boot disk from a purchased Minix.
> This would ensure that no one could get 1.5.0 without having 1.1, 1.2,
> or 1.3.

I purchased  Minix 1.1 for a class several years ago. I got the book and a set of disks. Since
that class, I have moved several times.  I didn't use Minix in the intervening time because I
was running a 4.77 MHz clone with no hard drive and only 1 360K floppy.

Recently, I was able to purchase a 386 with sufficient hard disk space and, lo and behold, my
interest in Minix was revived.  I still had the book, but can't find the disks.  Should I be
prevented from using the upgrade path because I can't produce a boot disk?  I am running
1.2 that was given to me by a friend, but I want to upgrade to 1.5.  What is the current "legal"
upgrade path and how does Minix 1.5 obtained by this path differ from Minix 1.5 created by
downloading diffs and building it myself?

Richard Dunn-Roberts		             richard@ist1.ucf-cs.ucf.edu
Visual Systems Lab
Institute for Simulation and Training
12424 Research Parkway, Suite 300
Orlando, FL 32826
(407) 658 5074/5073

<prior to posting, insert incredibly witty and pithy comment to impress all with my perspicacity>

I think just splitting the sources out into a single separate group
would be the best idea. I could run the vote if you like.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

ghelmer@DSUVAX.uucp (Guy Helmer) (02/02/90)

In article <12500003@ucf-cs.ucf.edu>, richard@ucf-cs.ucf.edu writes:
> /* Written  9:32 am  Jan 24, 1990 by ghelmer@DSUVAX.UUCP in ucf-cs.ucf.edu:comp.os.minix */
> > Maybe a Minix User's Group could send out complete source disks upon
> > receipt of money and the original boot disk from a purchased Minix.
> > This would ensure that no one could get 1.5.0 without having 1.1, 1.2,
> > or 1.3.
>
> I purchased  Minix 1.1 for a class several years ago. I got the book and
> a set of disks.
> I still had the book, but can't find the disks.  Should I be
> prevented from using the upgrade path because I can't produce a boot disk?

No.  My proposal was made because I think people want the 1.5 upgrade _now_.
Prentice-Hall apparently will be selling one, but it won't be available for
several months.  If a Minix User's Group (which doesn't exist yet on this
continent) were to sell upgrade kits that contained a 1.5 boot disk, I
think the group would need a way to cover itself to prove it wasn't violating
copyrights.  The only way I could think of then was to require an original
boot disk.

> Richard Dunn-Roberts		             richard@ist1.ucf-cs.ucf.edu

--
Guy Helmer                              ...!uunet!loft386!dsuvax!ghelmer
Dakota State University Computing Services           helmer@sdnet.bitnet

bcs@lightning.cis.ufl.edu (Bradley C. Spatz) (02/03/90)

In article <9785@nigel.udel.EDU> Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com (Paul Dickson) writes:
>I can't see how the Referee'd approach would work?
>In my opinion, a better way to split comp.os.minix would be to add two other
>groups.  One would be moderated and would one have the defacto updates to
>Minix.  The other would be a general sources so others can test various
>versions and bug fixes, keeping comp.os.minix free for discussions only.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Separate groups is the way to go in my opinion.  In
fact, I have been surprised that sources, updates, and discussions have
occurred in the same group.
--
Bradley C. Spatz                                         Internet:  bcs@ufl.edu
Computer and Information Sciences                          BITNET:  spatz@uffsc