[comp.os.minix] 8 Bit character sets

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (02/02/90)

In article <1990Feb1.172916.16504@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>How you set the values for the high characters [above ascii DL] is a good
>question.  All
>zeros appears to be legitimate, and might be the simplest thing.  (I'm
>tempted to say that the values should follow ISO Latin 1, but that's
>asking for trouble since lots of hardware isn't set up to deal with
>ISO Latin 1 yet.)

What about ISO Latin/Cyrillic 5?  I found the Minix book by AST is in a
Russian book catalog and will be printed in Russian.  Will not they
need Russian (Cyrillic) characters?  The problem with this standard is
that the high control characters (0x80-0x99) are apparently not used
for printable characters.  These 32 characters could possibly be
assigned to many of the non-ascii West European letters (ISO 5 already
includes East European letters).
					Dave Lawyer

In article <4527@orion.cf.uci.edu> David Lawyer <dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu> writes:
>>...tempted to say that the values should follow ISO Latin 1...
>
>What about ISO Latin/Cyrillic 5?  I found the Minix book by AST is in a
>Russian book catalog and will be printed in Russian.  Will not they
>need Russian (Cyrillic) characters?  The problem with this standard is
>that the high control characters (0x80-0x99) are apparently not used
>for printable characters.  These 32 characters could possibly be
>assigned to many of the non-ascii West European letters...

ISO Latin 1 fills the 96 high non-control characters with, mostly,
non-ASCII Western European letters, and *still* doesn't quite cover
all the Western European languages.  Trying to make a token gesture
in that direction with 32 characters is not worthwhile, especially
when it results in a non-standard character set.

Is there some reason why the Russians deserve special treatment?
Why not, say, the Greeks?  (As I recall, they have an ISO Latin/xxx N
set all to themselves.)  How about Hebrew?  Hindi?  Arabic?  You simply
can't get all the useful character sets into 8 bits even if you ignore
the Oriental languages.  Latin 1 gives about the widest coverage you
can hope for in an 8-bit set; it covers most major languages of five
continents (since said languages mostly are Western European languages
or at least use Western European alphabets).
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu