[comp.os.minix] st 1.5.0 make and patch

sindair@ucs.orst.edu (Geordi Sinclair - UCS) (02/04/90)

while trying to upgrade my st minix to 1.5.0, I ran into the following
probleems:

1 )  I had to write a version strchr and strrchr to get make to complile,
	but it does not work right.

2 )  When i tried to compile patch, i recieved the error that _fdopen and
	__exit could not be found when linking the modules together.

I am useing the libc.a that came with my original minix, and was able to rebuild
my original code 1.1 with a modification for tow hard drives, but I cannot
compile any of the new 1.5.0 postings, pc and st .
Con anyone help with this?
thanks
Geordi Sinclair

Sindair@mist.cs.orst.edu            I'm a Time Lord ... I walk in Eternity.
Sindair@ucs.orst.edu                    --The Doctor.
sindair%edu.orst.ucs%earn-relay@DLGM.DL.AC.UK

bradr@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/04/90)

In article <15468@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, sindair@ucs.orst.edu (Geordi Sinclair - UCS) writes:
> while trying to upgrade my st minix to 1.5.0, I ran into the following
> probleems:
>

> 1 )  I had to write a version strchr and strrchr to get make to complile,
> 	but it does not work right.
>
> 2 )  When i tried to compile patch, i recieved the error that _fdopen and
> 	__exit could not be found when linking the modules together.

Probably your best bet is to extract strchr, strrchr, fdopen, _exit from the
PC 1.5 library sources.  Then compile these functions separately and
use ar to stuff them in the old libc.a library.  This worked for me!

regards, brad

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (02/05/90)

Hello folks,

sindair@ucs.orst.edu (Geordi Sinclair - UCS) writes:

>while trying to upgrade my st minix to 1.5.0, I ran into the following
>problems:

>1 )  I had to write a version strchr and strrchr to get make to complile,
>	but it does not work right.

In BSD and V7 Unixes and consequently in MINIX too there are no strchr and
strrchr functions, they're named index and rindex. So just define strchr as
index and strrchr as rindex in some header file or with the -D flag for cc.
This works for many programs distributed in the comp.sources.* groups. Why
should it not work for MINIX.

>2 )  When i tried to compile patch, i recieved the error that _fdopen and
>	__exit could not be found when linking the modules together.

Those are errors in the standard MINIX ST libc.a. The popen systemcall uses
_exit instead of exit, if I remember correctly. Just fix that and recompile
popen.c. Also, fdopen is missing. There was a version taken from fopen posted
to the net. Anybody still have it?

Greetings from
Martin Boening
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad