[comp.os.minix] Negative stack &malloc for elvis

IZPH%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@vm1.cc.mcgill.ca (IZPH000) (02/06/90)

I just finished with compiling elvis using Makefile.pc. Sizes are as followed :

  text    data     bss   stack  memory
  4384    1818    2090   57244   65536  c
Everything was OK, except elvis.
On my 386 running in PM (v1.4), I got "Memory fault. Core dumped" message.
On my XT running in real mode(v1.5), stdin is just simply copied to stdout.
Sometimes I got the message " Floating Exception" and and nothing help but a
cold boot.

Did I do something wrong ? Look at the stack for elvis !

Phi-Ho Hoang.
(IZPH@MusicB.McGill.CA)

dcd@tc.fluke.COM (David Dyck) (02/07/90)

In article <10230@nigel.udel.EDU> IZPH%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@vm1.cc.mcgill.ca (IZPH000) writes:

>I just finished with compiling elvis using Makefile.pc. Sizes are as followed :
>
>On my 386 running in PM (v1.4), I got "Memory fault. Core dumped" message.
>On my XT running in real mode(v1.5), stdin is just simply copied to stdout.
>Sometimes I got the message " Floating Exception" and and nothing help but a
>cold boot.

>Phi-Ho Hoang.
>(IZPH@MusicB.McGill.CA)

The pc makefile (makefile.pc) for elvis did not include the -i cc flag.

Add it to your cc command and re-link.
I uses elvis almost every day, there are a few bugs, but it is a good
working editor, and if it does crash, the virecover program has gotten
back what I needed.

            David Dyck
    Domain: dcd@tc.fluke.COM
     Voice: +1 206 356 5807
      UUCP: {uw-beaver,decwrl,microsof,sun}!fluke!dcd
     Snail: John Fluke Mfg. Co. / P.O. Box 9090 / Everett WA  98206-9090

IZPH%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@vm1.cc.mcgill.ca (IZPH000) (02/08/90)

> The pc makefile (makefile.pc) for elvis did not include the -i cc flag.

I only notice this -i flag after playing with de (it showed elvis header
with seperate I & D bit not set).
Going back to the makefile, -i is in CFLAGS alright, but this info was
not available to asld, so I added -i to the cc line for elvis:  section.
So now elvis is OK, but that feature (or is it a bug ?) of chmem, let me
reduce the stack size to a more negative value .
stack to a more negative value
> Add it to your cc command and re-link.

Yes, I remade it.