[net.unix-wizards] TeX and Metafont on UNIX

ram.umass-boston@UDel-Relay@sri-unix (08/10/82)

From:     Robert Morris <ram.umass-boston@UDel-Relay>
Date:     23 Jul 82 21:37:14-EDT (Fri)
I am presently (but not much longer) the coordinator for efforts
to transport TeX to VAX UNIX.  This effort is definitely in the pioneer
state and almost everyone would rather watch this space for
an announcement in a few months.  For more detail, users
with arpanet access should ftp the file   MC:BALL;RAM STATUS
from MIT-MC. Anyone who can get mail from arpanet or CSNET
sites but can not ftp files can ask me to mail them the report, or by US
mail addressed to Prof. Robert Morris, Math Sci. Dept. UMASS/Boston
Boston, MA 02166.

To my knowledge, no attempts are being made to port METAFONT.
The present TeX is from a year old, somewhat obsolete version,
has no support for anything but Versatek's, and wis generally
not supported by anyone even to the extent of answering questions.
It also has known bugs.
Better to wait.

--Bob Morris