[comp.os.minix] Porting minix to a Stride -- has anyone tried it?

clh@cbnews.ATT.COM (Chris Harting) (02/15/90)

Has anyone out there ported minix to a Stride 400 or 600 series machine?  I
have a Stride 420 (12MHz 68000, 512K RAM, 2 floppies) that I would like to
bring back from the dead (CP/M-68K, p-System) and into the modern world without
breaking the bank.  (Gcc would be nice, too...)
All pointers, suggestions, help, flames gladly accepted.
--
* Chris Harting	AT&T Network Systems	Columbus, OH	clh@cbrmb.att.com

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/16/90)

In article <13985@cbnews.ATT.COM> clh@cbnews.ATT.COM (Chris Harting) writes:
>Has anyone out there ported minix to a Stride 400 or 600 series machine?  I
>have a Stride 420 (12MHz 68000, 512K RAM, 2 floppies) that I would like to
>bring back from the dead (CP/M-68K, p-System) and into the modern world without
>breaking the bank.  (Gcc would be nice, too...)

I think this is a wonderful idea.  Probably one of the smartest things I
have heard in a long time.  Whatever happened to all those Stride and Sage
boxes that were great hardware without a usable operating system?

I should think that if there was a way to actually locate the Strides that
are stashed in closets and storage warehouses, there would be a potential
used market to csc students that want their own Unix (well, Minix) systems.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

bowman@cscraz.ncsu.edu (David M. Bowman) (02/16/90)

Great idea.  Here at NCSU (North Carolina State Univ) we have about 50
Sages that we're getting ready to trash.

bowman@cscraz.ncsu.edu (David M. Bowman) (02/16/90)

Great idea.  Here at NCSU (North Carolina State Univ) we have about 30
Sages that we're getting ready to trash.