[comp.os.minix] V1.5 availability

mml@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Mark Lacey) (02/13/90)

This question has probably already been asked, but, when will P-H have version
1.5 available?  Also, in the MINIX info sheet it says that P-H is allowing
3 or 4 copies to be given away...Is this for real?
Thanks in advance.
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark M. Lacey                         | Q) Why is TV called a "medium"?
mml@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us             | A) Because it's never rare or well done.
                                      |     - Fred Allen
                                    -----
  "One cannot simultaneously prepare for and prevent a war." - Albert Einstein
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/14/90)

In article <10940@nigel.udel.EDU> mml@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Mark Lacey) writes:
>This question has probably already been asked, but, when will P-H have version
>1.5 available?  Also, in the MINIX info sheet it says that P-H is allowing
>3 or 4 copies to be given away...Is this for real?

I have already answered this, but once again:

If all goes well, P-H will have 1.5 in the summer.  Summer runs from June 22
to Sept 21 (although Bruce Evans, Earl Chew, and some others may disagree).

Starting a couple of months ago, the shrink wrap license says you may make
2 backup copies.  You may give this away to others, but they may not make
further copies.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (02/15/90)

From article <5396@star.cs.vu.nl>, by ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum):
> Starting a couple of months ago, the shrink wrap license says you may make
> 2 backup copies.  You may give this away to others, but they may not make
> further copies.
>
> Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Gee, I hate to add more to the sudden bandwidth, but does this mean that
students taking an OS course now have to buy their own copy of Minix?
Or may the instructor still provide the copies for the purposes of the
course?

I really hope instructors can hand out copies to their OS students because
I don't think it's fair to make a student shell out $115 for 1 undergrad
semester -- now a grad semester I might be able to understand.
--
Jason Coughlin ( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx )
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the

hbetel@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Heather) (02/15/90)

 Unfair to shell out $115 for one semester? That's not that bad, in comparison
to some $70 chemistry text books I have used. A hell of alot more usefull
once the course is finished!

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/16/90)

In article <1990Feb14.172112.17552@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) writes:
>I really hope instructors can hand out copies to their OS students

Sorry, my error.  Bona fide educational institutions like universities are
permitted to make unlimited copies for teaching purposes.  That's in the
license.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)