[comp.os.minix] The future of Minix

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/07/89)

I have been fairly quiet lately, not out of lack of interest, but waiting
for the dust to settle.  It seems that the overwhelming majority opinion
is that Bruce Evan's protected mode code is a big step forward.  I tried it
and, of course, it didn't work on my machine.  However, after a round of
12,000 mile remote debugging with Bruce, we found the problem (2 lines)
and it works fine now.

I have also looked at his code more closely, and I am impressed. It is not
only very well programmed, but he resisted the temptation that most other
people have succumbed to, namely, changing my layout.  If I am to use it in
the book, I certainly don't want two different styles in there, and my
changing everything by hand would undoubtedly lead to errors.  There is no
MINIX pretty-printer at present (hint).  The UNIX pretty-printer, cb, doesn't
produce my layout style, which I am very much attached to.

Another plus is that Bruce has been very helpful in answering questions etc.
My major fear, that the code would be too complicated for students, is
probably unjustified.  It is certainly longer now, but not that much hairier.
The 80286 stuff is fairly well isolated.  I took a look at how long the
listing in the book will be if I include only the same files as last time,
plus a few new ones that are essential.  It comes to something like 380 pages,
vs. 250 last time.  Together with, say, 30 pages of descriptive text about
how the new code works, and 20 pages of man pages in Appendix C, the book
will exceed 900 pages.  This is getting kinda large for a 1 semester textbook.
Printing it in 2 volumes makes it more expensive.  I might be able to
help a little here and there by not including things like klib88.x and
protect.c, which are very technical and not very conceptual, and perhaps
eliminating the cross reference listing.

Anyway, I have decided to use Bruce's code as the basis for V2.0 (subject to
Prentice-Hall not vetoing a 900 page book).

There are still a number of things that need to be done before I even start
with POSIX.  Bruce and I have discussed this by email.  The game plan is that
he is going to make some changes during the summer, and then post the new
version of the kernel.  I am going to look at fixes etc from the net
concerning utilities etc, and post those cdifs.  All this should happen
around September.  Let us call that version 1.4b.  This will be my base for
starting to work on POSIX.  I'll do the kernel/FS/MM myself (looking at
what Simon Poole has already done), but help writing/converting libraries,
utilities etc is very welcome.

When all that is done, we will have a protected mode system that is based
on POSIX and reasonably fast for small machines.  MINIX seems to be
evolving in the direction of something more than an academic toy and towards
a more serious system.  If I run into Niklaus Wirth at a conference
sometime, I'll have to ask him about that :-).

An additional note.  Amiga MINIX is actually up and running.  It is now
being tested.

Furthermore, MINIX 1.3 is being ported to the SPARC.

Getting all these versions back together, and then POSIX-based is going to be
a job on the order of cleaning out the Augean Stables, and I don't have a
Hercules card.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

phil@june.cs.washington.edu (Phil Nelson) (07/08/89)

I don't have a 286 and so I didn't get a copy of Bruce's protected
mode kernel.  With the announcement that V2.0 will be based on
Bruce's work, I had a question that was not answered by the
announcement.  What does this move mean to those of us without a
286?  Will the same code run on both 8088s and 80286s?

--Phil Nelson
(aka phil@unicorn.wwu.edu)

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (07/09/89)

From article <2835@ast.cs.vu.nl>, by ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum):
> ,and perhaps
> eliminating the cross reference listing.

I realize that with 900 pages it is hard to figure out what to cut and
what not to cut.  But, the cross reference listing is VERY handy.  I
used it ALL of the time when taking our OS course.  If it's gotta go
then it's gotta go, but if something else can go instead please leave it.

Jason Coughlin
( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx )

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (07/09/89)

Will the protected mode version work on a 386 machine?  I am not
familiar with the differences for protected mode.  Thanx.

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (07/10/89)

Might as well post this to everybody since this question will most likely be
asked again.  Yes, the Evans' 286 protect mode kernel should run on a 386 or
386SX machine.  Intel designed the 80x86 to be downward compatable.  So if you
have a 386 or 386SX you should be able to run 8086 and 80286 code with NO
MODIFICATIONS whatsoever.  Everything is there in the chip.  The reason that
this works is that the unused bits in the 24-bit descriptor table are set to
zero, so when the 386 runs into a descriptor table with the high byte set to
zero, it's clicking in the back of its mind "ah ha!  this person wants me to
emulate a brain damaged 286" and does so appropriately.  I might be wrong of
where in the descriptor table the bits are set to zero, but I know all unused
bits are set to zero.  See "The 80386/80387 Architecture" for details on 286
emulation on a 386.  One of the authors is Issacson who is also the author of
the A86 assembler.

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/10/89)

In article <8678@june.cs.washington.edu> phil@june.cs.washington.edu (Phil Nelson) writes:
>I don't have a 286.
>What does this move [Bruce Evans' code] mean to those of us without a
>286?  Will the same code run on both 8088s and 80286s?
Yes.  Definitely.  Bruce was extremely careful to distinguish where something
was specific for the 286.  In the next release, the test for 8088 vs. other
CPUs will be dynamic.

Conclusion: don't worry.  We are not planning to dump the 8088 by any means.

One thing I may do, however, is make the assumption that by the time this
system (V2.0) is released, probably 1991, everybody wanting to recompile
the system will have a hard disk.  Making the system boot and run with
floppy only isn't so hard, but as the kernel has grown, it is getting harder
and harder to recompile the whole operating system on floppies.  By 1991
hard disks will be so cheap that it is hard to imagine any serious user
not having one.

Andy Tanenbaum

In article <1989Jul8.171336.27399@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) writes:
>I realize that with 900 pages it is hard to figure out what to cut and
>what not to cut.  But, the cross reference listing is VERY handy.

How about this.  I could grep the listing in the book for PRIVATE and PUBLIC
and just give an alphabetical list of those lines, 3 or 4 columns per page.
That way you could find where symbols are defined, which I think is more
useful than the reverse.  Conceivably I could also make a full cross
reference list and put in on the disk.  Making that list, incidentally, was
a gigantic pain in the rear end.  It was surprisingly difficult to automate.

Andy Tanenbaum

meulenbr@cstw01.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (07/10/89)

[lots of text discarded]
In article <2835@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
[...]
>Anyway, I have decided to use Bruce's code as the basis for V2.0 (subject to
>Prentice-Hall not vetoing a 900 page book).
[...]
>starting to work on POSIX.  I'll do the kernel/FS/MM myself (looking at
>what Simon Poole has already done), but help writing/converting libraries,
>utilities etc is very welcome.
>
>When all that is done, we will have a protected mode system that is based
>on POSIX and reasonably fast for small machines.  MINIX seems to be
>evolving in the direction of something more than an academic toy and towards
>a more serious system.  If I run into Niklaus Wirth at a conference
>sometime, I'll have to ask him about that :-).
>
>An additional note.  Amiga MINIX is actually up and running.  It is now
>being tested.
>
>Furthermore, MINIX 1.3 is being ported to the SPARC.
>
>Getting all these versions back together, and then POSIX-based is going to be
>a job on the order of cleaning out the Augean Stables, and I don't have a
>Hercules card.
>
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Ok. That amounts to 5 different versions:
for 8088, 286/protected, ST, Amiga, SPARC.

As far as getting these together:
This can really become a pain.
However, I would support such an integration very much.

As far as I can see it there are two different problem areas:
- assembly code
  Since these must be rewritten completely, IMHO they should be avoided
  as much as possible. I know that it is tempting to do a lot of rs232
  stuff in assembly for performance purposes. However I would like to
  ask to limit this to the bare minimum.
- hardware dependencies
  This is another problem, which mainly arises in the tty/rs232/console
  area. Please do not rely on the fact that every system has a 8250
  chip. In the current tty.c there are a lot of places where the 8250 is
  enabled. I would suggest to keep all hardware independent stuff in
  tty.c, and either put all hardware stuff in say console.c and rs232.c
  or put it in dedicated files like i8250.c and so on, dealing with the
  various hardware components.
  Doing things this way yields a clear separation of the common part
  and the hardware specific part.
  If ast decides to isolate the hardware depencies in one way or
  another, I could be persuaded to look at the ST part of it.
  (By the way, the above does mainly apply to rs232, keyboard and
  monitor. I don't know if such an approach is feasible for floppy and
  hard disk).

On a related but different topic:
will something be done to get the compiler more ansi conformant?
I'm mainly thinking about function prototypes and floating point
support.

As an aside:
I have a version of 1.4a for the ST, but I really don't know what to do
with it. Since I prefer very much to have an official upgrade
I'm very reluctant to post this.
On the other hand: I've shipped this to Johan Stevenson for
authorisation and posting somewhere in April, but it seems that he does
not have the time to look into it, and approve it.

I'm sitting on this stuff for more than two months now, and I feel in
some kind of catch-22 situation. What is the opinion of the net in
general and ast specifically that I should do with this stuff??

Note: please don't send mail requesting me to mail you a copy.
I want to get the minix community in sync, and I definitely don't want
a lot of different version floating around.

(by the way: this ST version is compatible with 1.4a, except for the
amoeba stuff. It does support rs232 (at least at 1200 baud))

regards,

Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology
	( or try: ...!mcvax!phigate!prle!cst!meulenbr)

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (07/10/89)

From article <1989Jul9.023852.21674@tmsoft.uucp>, by mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels):
> Will the protected mode version work on a 386 machine?

I'm not familiar with MINIX. But if it works on 286 machine, it should
work on 386 AS WELL, since 386 can emulate 286. Details are not
necessary here and now, but I think it should work (but don't expect
all the 386 goodies!).

Uri.

evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce Evans) (07/11/89)

In article <1989Jul9.023852.21674@tmsoft.uucp> mshiels@tmsoft.UUCP (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
>Will the protected mode version work on a 386 machine?  I am not

Yes, assuming the machine is AT-compatible apart from the processor. This
does not use 32-bit mode so still suffers from small segments.

It (the same binary) will also run on an 8088, by avoiding the small parts of
the code specific to protected mode.

I am working on a full 32-bit version. It runs, but there is no practical
compiler for it yet.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@ditsyda.oz.au

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (07/11/89)

>  This is getting kinda large for a 1 semester textbook.
>	Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Just a nit...  Why does the textbook need to be restricted to 1
semester?  I have seen several textbooks which, in the introduction,
map out various sizes (how many semesters) and levels (undergrad vs
grad) of courses by suggestions on what chapters to cover and what
chapters to skip.  I think that approach works well.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (07/11/89)

From article <2851@ast.cs.vu.nl>, by ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum):
> How about this.  I could grep the listing in the book for PRIVATE and PUBLIC
> and just give an alphabetical list of those lines, 3 or 4 columns per page.

Sounds good to me.  Thank you.

--
Jason Coughlin
( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx.BITNET )

rbthomas@athos.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) (07/11/89)

>                           Conceivably I could also make a full cross
> reference list and put in on the disk.

Now, That's a good idea!  Most people aren't interested in the Xref
unless they are into serious code hacking anyway, so they can be
expected to have the disks.  Also, I bet it's easier to talk P-H into
adding a disk to the distribution than adding 50-100 pages to the
book.  (Or printing a second volume with the code and Xref in it.) As
an added benefit, if the Xref production can be automated (not easy, as
Andy noted, but maybe some of the hackers out there would be willing to
have a go at it.  Warning -- you should probably start with the source
code of the CPP and parser pass of the compiler.  Anything less is
bound to wind up getting confused by comments that look like code,
etc.)  The program that does it can be put on the floppy, instead of
the actual Xref.  Then people can have Xrefs of their own local
versions.

Rick
--

Rick Thomas
uucp: {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers!jove.rutgers.edu!rbthomas

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/11/89)

In article <563@prles2.UUCP> meulenbr@cstw01.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:
>I have a version of 1.4a for the ST, but I really don't know what to do
>with it. Since I prefer very much to have an official upgrade
>I'm very reluctant to post this.
>On the other hand: I've shipped this to Johan Stevenson for
>authorisation and posting somewhere in April, but it seems that he does
>not have the time to look into it, and approve it.

I don't either.  Still, I think it worth trying to get the two versions into
sync.  You could post the cdifs and let the net try to work out the bugs
collectively.  A far more interesting question is getting the second
release of Bruce Evans' stuff and the Atari in sync, since that will be the
base for V2.0 on the IBM line.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

In article <Jul.11.01.40.45.1989.26685@athos.rutgers.edu> rbthomas@athos.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) writes:
> Also, I bet it's easier to talk P-H into
>adding a disk to the distribution than adding 50-100 pages to the
>book.

That's true, but next time around I will probably only have 360K diskettes.
For V1.x, there was 640K PC and 512K AT.  All the people with 512K PCs and
640K ATs got confused.  Thus the number of diskettes will invariably be
larger next time, which does not give any technical problems, but does affect
the price.

> The program that does it can be put on the floppy, instead of
>the actual Xref.  Then people can have Xrefs of their own local
>versions.

Not a bad idea, assuming I can automate the process.  I'll also have to put
the line numbering program on the disk.  Not that it is hard to do that,
but I might forget.  Somebody please remind me around Dec 1990.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

In article <5870010@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:

>Just a nit...  Why does the textbook need to be restricted to 1 semester?

The standard OS course is 1 semester, so the book ought to at least be
usable for that.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (07/12/89)

I think Dr. Tanenbaum should consider finding a different publisher for
the revised Minix book and disks.

What Minix badly needs is a publisher that knows about software and how
to handle upgrades in an organized manner.  Prentice Hall definitely is
not it.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/12/89)

In article <8176@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>I think Dr. Tanenbaum should consider finding a different publisher for
>the revised Minix book and disks.

No.  (1) I have a contractual obligation to P-H and would certainly be sued
if I tried to breach it, and (2) although they have screwed up the software
distribution, they have done ok on the book.  If I were to find a software
publisher, I bet they would screw up on the book.  Nevertheless, P-H is
definitely learning about software.  They now have a full-time customer
service software person, for example, and I will try to train him on MINIX
next time.

VISION ON THE FUTURE OF EDUCATION:
I think that in the coming decade, many universities will expect/require
all students to buy a computer.  If you take a $2000 computer and write it
off over four years, you get $500 per year.  When added to private college
tuition of $10K per year, it only adds 5% and the student gets to keep the
computer afterwards.  At state schools it will take a little longer, but not
much.

These machines will need software for physics labs, biology labs, library
access etc.  It is my bet that 99% of it will be written by free lancers,
mostly professors, the same way it is with books.  There are very few
corporations that churn out textbooks as their main product.  Thus I expect
college software to go essentially the same route as college textbooks.
In this case, it makes sense that the distribution is handled by book
publishers.  Whether they are selling a book or a box of diskettes hardly
matters--the manufacturing is contracted out to third parties in both
cases.  It is just a 7" x 10" x 2" lump with an ISBN number in both cases.
Prentice-Hall is far and away the biggest (and as far as I am concerned)
the best computer science textbook publisher, and I expect them to be the
same in educational software as well.  I know plenty of other authors, and
have heard about other people's experiences, and while P-H is certainly not
perfect, I am by-and-large pretty satisfied.  If any of you are thinking of
writing textbooks or educational software, they are definitely worth
considering.

I guess it all boils down to what MINIX is.  I still see it as primarily
an educational system.  I can't imagine any Fortune 500 company choosing it
over UNIX.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it falls under the
heading Educational/Instructional rather than Operating systems (see page
336 of the July Byte Magazine).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

des@berlioz (Desmond Young) (07/12/89)

In article <1989Jul8.171336.27399@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) writes:
> From article <2835@ast.cs.vu.nl>, by ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum):
> > ,and perhaps
> > eliminating the cross reference listing.
>
> ... the cross reference listing is VERY handy.  I
> used it ALL of the time ...

Put the XREF on disk, the buyer can print it out. I used it a lot too,
but it was a nuisance turning to the back of the book constantly. Putting
it on disk saves book pages, and gives a physically separate reference.
Des.

--
Reply:  des@logic.nsc.com
       {decwrl,hplabs,sun,pyramid,amdahl}!nsc.com!logic!des

rheffel@cs2.wsu.edu (07/12/89)

I suggest that AST publish the operating system book and the code listing
separately.  By code, I mean that Appendicies B-E should comprise the separate
code listing.  Perhaps even Appendix A should be included here too.

The advantage arising from this separation is that the book will not contain
older versions of the code (thereby rendering it slightly obsolete) and will
allow operating system classes to reference current code.  Furthermore it will
allow MINIX devotees to keep up to date by permitting them to purchase
the code listing separately.

I suggest that the code listing be published in an IBM 3-ring binder size format

Let us take a look at an example of what I mean.  If AST's operating system
book did not use line numbers but allowed one level of indirection, his book
would not go out of date.  For example on page 243 he references line 5965.
In another version of MINIX (ie later than 1.1), that line number probably
does not reference the same C statement.

This problem could be solved properly by inserting the phrase "ref-listing x"
in the book, and on the first page of the IBM 3-ring binder have the following:
	ref-listing x = line 5965.

Such a method of indexing so commonly found in computer science would preclude
the necessity of constantly modifying the book to keep it up to date but would
still permit the OS book to correctly correspond to the lastest version of the
code.

Prentice Hall could bundle the 2 items (the OS book and the IBM style code
listing) to sell to student book stores, but could also sell the IBM style
code listing optionally with the upgrade diskettes.

I hope this method of distribution will be considered seriously because
MINIX has a larger following than AST presumes.

I agree with the MINIX fan who suggested that the XREF program be included
with the next version of MINIX.

gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) (07/13/89)

In article <563@prles2.UUCP> meulenbr@cstw01.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:
>[lots of text discarded]
>In article <2835@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>[...]
>>Anyway, I have decided to use Bruce's code as the basis for V2.0 (subject to
>>Prentice-Hall not vetoing a 900 page book).
>>[...]
>>When all that is done, we will have a protected mode system that is based
>>on POSIX and reasonably fast for small machines.  MINIX seems to be
>>evolving in the direction of something more than an academic toy ...

Sounds good, I'll bet all those with 80x86's will be most happy about
this decission.  But what's the future of those other versions?

>>An additional note.  Amiga MINIX is actually up and running.  It is now
>>being tested.  Furthermore, MINIX 1.3 is being ported to the SPARC.
>>
>>Getting all these versions back together,and then POSIX-based is going to be
>>a job on the order of cleaning out the Augean Stables, and I don't have a
>>Hercules card.
>>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)
>
>Ok. That amounts to 5 different versions:
>for 8088, 286/protected, ST, Amiga, SPARC.
>
>As far as getting these together:
>This can really become a pain.
>However, I would support such an integration very much.
>
>Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl)
>	( or try: ...!mcvax!phigate!prle!cst!meulenbr)

So we see a clear path concerning the devellopment of MINIX in the next few
years. One of the goals was (apart from the teaching aspects) portability.
Looking at already 5 versions one cannot deny this has succeeded. But will
we have 5 different versions soon?  I really hope not, that would depart
from the original idea.
OK , I know that everybody can hack around to make his own version,
what I mean is the reference, the thing you can make your diffs to, the
version of The Book.  (or Books :-) )

SOME QUESTIONS I'D LIKE TO SHARE.

1)At this moment we have MINIX ST 1.1  that is said to equal MINIX PC 1.3 .
So why isn't it CALLED MINIX ST 1.3 ?
2)Why is it impossible to read disks written on the other version although
the original OS'es of PC and ST can do so easily?  (don't know about these
other versions).   The (ST) documentation says: The goal is not TOS (Atari)
but UNiX compatibility.  What about making MINIX compatible with itself.
(I know someone said this before).

I hope 2.0 will again become available for many computers. There is
more than this PECEE. (You might have guessed I have an Atari :=) )

Don't think I'm unhappy with MINIX  but this keeps bothering me.

| The smoker you drink,|  Gert Kanis, SWP                         |
| the W.C.             |  Nixdorf Computer BV, Postbus 29         |
|----------------------|  4130 EA Vianen, Netherlands.            |
| I do not represent   |  E-mail :    targon!gert@nluug.nl        |
| anyone elses opinion.|  or ..!mcvax!targon!gert                 |

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (07/14/89)

>Let us take a look at an example of what I mean.  If AST's operating system
>book did not use line numbers but allowed one level of indirection, his book
>would not go out of date.  For example on page 243 he references line 5965.
>In another version of MINIX (ie later than 1.1), that line number probably
>does not reference the same C statement.
>
>This problem could be solved properly by inserting the phrase
>"ref-listing x" in the book, and on the first page of the IBM 3-ring
>binder have the following:
>	ref-listing x = line 5965.

How about inserting comments in the source which you can easily search
for.  So the book can refer to a point in the source with:
	see listing-reference-232
In the source we could find
	if( ... ) { ... } /* listing-reference-232 */

This way the book (and the binder) would not have to become obsolete
because the line numbers changed.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"
	Not representing my employer.
	"grep for it"

rbthomas@athos.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) (07/14/89)

I believe that the whole problem with P-H sending people 1.2 is that
they are not trained to look at little things like numbers in book
titles.

The way I have found to be sure fire for getting exactly what you want
is to locate a friend who has the right version and get the ISBN
number off of it.  Then order by ISBN number, not by title.

For example, I have the 1.3 AT version in my hand right now and its
ISBN number is 0-13-58303-5.

Accept no substitutes!

Rick
--

Rick Thomas
uucp: {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers!jove.rutgers.edu!rbthomas
arpa: rbthomas@JOVE.RUTGERS.EDU
Phone: (201) 932-4301

wbeebe@rtmvax.UUCP (Bill Beebe) (07/14/89)

In article <2858@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

[ stuff deleted ]
>A far more interesting question is getting the second
>release of Bruce Evans' stuff and the Atari in sync, since that will be the
>base for V2.0 on the IBM line.

That will indeed be interesting. The Mototola chip that comes closest to the
286/386 with built-in protection is the 68030, and the only machines I know
of that have that chip are Sun's, Apollo's, NeXT's, and Apple's. Not exactly
in the same price range as the Atari [grin]. As the old Chinese curse says,
"May you live in interesting times."

dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) (07/15/89)

OK, some various unsolicited comments...

1.  The size of the Minix textbook.
While I don't have a copy in front of me, it would seem to me that you
could free up a lot of space by removing the "man" pages.  They should
really be online like the rest of the pages, and if anyone really wants
a  hard-copy, there's always 'lp'.  Failing that, P-H could have a subsidiary
market for man-pages :)

2.  The cross-reference listing...
I agree with a lot of what has been said already, although I have had
problems in the past, with routines that are in the code (1.2x), but not
in the book.  Of course, 'grep' knows what to do in cases like that...
I don't think that indirect references in the text buy you anything,
because there is more to an update than changed line numbers.  There is
no way to get around the problem of discussing a section of code that
now does something *completely* different.

3.  Merged source code.
I think it would be great if all the different Minix varieties were on
the same disk-set.  I'd like to see the Atari code, even if I have a
PC.  On the one hand, this is easier for P-H, because they don't have
to stock multiple distributions, but requires that the distribution be
bigger.  Of course, there's always the problem of different disk formats...
One thing I would like to warn against, though, is heavy use of '#ifdef's.
If they are used more than minimally, the code becomes unreadable.  One
good solution is to produce a source-tree, with directories of 'common',
'IBM-PC', 'i8086', 'Atari', 'm68k', etc.  The breakdown being by machine,
cpu, and common.

4.  Protected mode.
I'm glad to see that Andy has decided to use Bruces' code.  I hope this
doesn't mean us unfortunates stuck with prehistoric Intel chips, won't
get left by the wayside.  Does it also mean that we'll see swapping (or
at least shared-text) in the next release??

5.  TCP/IP.
I am going to be posting Des Youngs' Minix port of TCP/IP (KA9Q), within
the next week.  Des gets all the credit for this one, all I'm doing, is
posting it on the net, because he is out of town.  He put a lot of work
into it, and it's a real nice port.  However, the disk he gave me has
some original files on there, so I need to diff them against the release,
so as not to infringe on P-Hs' copyright.  That could take a while...
The size, by the way, is about 800K.  But that is before the 'diff'ing.
						- Der
--
	dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM		(408) 946-6700 x4237
	Dermot Tynan,  Altos Computer Systems,  San Jose, CA   95134

    "Far and few, far and few, are the lands where the Jumblies live..."

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/15/89)

In article <575@targon.UUCP> targon!gert@nluug.nl (Gert Kanis) writes:
>1)At this moment we have MINIX ST 1.1  that is said to equal MINIX PC 1.3 .
>So why isn't it CALLED MINIX ST 1.3 ?

Johan and I felt it strange to call the first release 1.3.  Maybe it isn't.
Also, it is not exactly 1.3.

>2)Why is it impossible to read disks written on the other version although
>the original OS'es of PC and ST can do so easily?

I am not really sure.  Probably we slipped up.  The Amiga version should be
able to read MINIX-ST disks, so we have tried to avoid that mistake again.

>I hope 2.0 will again become available for many computers. There is
>more than this PECEE. (You might have guessed I have an Atari :=) )
It may be a long road.  What I do realistically hope to do is have FS and MM
be absolutely identical on all versions.  That is one of the advantages of
splitting them off from the kernel.  After V2.0 is done for the PC, I hope
we can find some ambitious volunteer to try to retrofit the ST and Amiga
kernels to the V2.0 kernel, where possible.  I don't know if this will work.
The SPARC is yet another story, since the register window business is quite
different than all the other machines.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

pcm@iwarpj.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) (07/17/89)

In article <3534@altos86.Altos.COM> dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) writes:

>OK, some various unsolicited comments...

        and an unsolicited response.

>3.  Merged source code.
>I think it would be great if all the different Minix varieties were on
>the same disk-set.  I'd like to see the Atari code, even if I have a
>PC.

        I personally think that this is a REALLY BAD IDEA (no offense, Der).
	Making the number of distribution disks larger when it's not
	necessary seems inherently evil.  This would raise the price of
        the disks when few people would get the benefit.

>  On the one hand, this is easier for P-H, because they don't have
>to stock multiple distributions, but requires that the distribution be
>bigger.  Of course, there's always the problem of different disk formats...

        Precisely.

Phil Miller
{...}!tektronix!ogccse!pcm

vxp6840%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (07/19/89)

In article <4658@omepd.UUCP> pcm@iwarpj.UUCP (Phil C. Miller) writes:
>In article <3534@altos86.Altos.COM> dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>>3.  Merged source code.
>>I think it would be great if all the different Minix varieties were on
>>the same disk-set.  I'd like to see the Atari code, even if I have a
>>PC.
>
>        I personally think that this is a REALLY BAD IDEA (no offense, Der).
>	Making the number of distribution disks larger when it's not
>	necessary seems inherently evil.  This would raise the price of
>        the disks when few people would get the benefit.

I think putting all the source on one disk set is a good idea.
Minix is meant to be an OS for learning.  It is very informative
not only to see how Minix works in my own system, but what differences
exist to make it work on other systems as well.

When I bought Minix for my ST, I was disappointed to find only the ST
code on the distribution disks for the above reason.

-Vitas P.-

-Vitas P.-      ...![allegra, seismo, or rutgers]!rochester!rit!vxp6840
Rochester     | vcp6840@ritvax.bitnet or vxp6840@ritcv.UUCP
Institute     | vcp6840@ultb.isc.rit.edu or vxp6840@cs.rit.edu
of Technology | SOMETHING HAS TO WORK AROUND HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONM64%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Kai Henningsen) (07/19/89)

Well, here it's again ... not a good Idea to send it to
 MINIX-L@DEARN.BITNET, INFO-MINIX@UDEL.EDU is the place if I wish to
 reach the rest of the world ...
>From:         Andy Tanenbaum <ast@CS.VU.NL>
>VISION ON THE FUTURE OF EDUCATION:
>I think that in the coming decade, many universities will expect/require
>all students to buy a computer.  If you take a $2000 computer and write it
>off over four years, you get $500 per year.  When added to private college
>tuition of $10K per year, it only adds 5% and the student gets to keep the
>computer afterwards.  At state schools it will take a little longer, but not
>much.

Whow, that's numbers! I'm really glad I live in Germany ... that's about
DM 50,- (ca. $25) per Semester ...    $10K???????
                                         ~

craig_dewick%713.600@fidogate.fido.oz (Craig Dewick) (07/31/89)

Original to: ast@cs_vu_nl
Hello Andy.

It is pleasing to see all this support for Minix. I own a kit 68000 system for
which a port of minix 1.2 has been recently completed. The final code looks
nothing like your original listing in the 'red book', however it works and
performs well. It has been over a year in development, mainly because the
person who did the port has not been able to spend all his time on it.

There are still many small problems to be ironed out, but very soon we should
have a very stable, efficient version of Minix running on our machines. I have
never used Minix on a PC so I cannot say how it compares performance-wise, but
I am looking forward to a new book. I have read the current edition cover to
cover (except the source code) and found it very informative. I have used Unix
on the university's Amdahl mainframe and have never really understood many of
the things the experienced Unix users take for granted. Your book helped me
understand some of these things.

I will be eagerly awaiting the new edition.

C ya later.... Craig.

--- TMail v1.11b
 * Origin: Prophet TBBS - First TBBS in Australia (3:713/600)

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (02/15/90)

It's been quite instructional to watch the growth of Minix over the last
few years, especially to one interested in business and social systems,
as well as computing.  It seems that PH has now realised that it is secure
in its niche, and can charge accordingly.  (No-one with the skill will
ever have the time to build another Minix; if they did, it would have great
difficulty getting established against the current version.)

Certainly $120 for a program with no development cost (subsumed into the
original textbook cost), no support cost (apart from printing ast's email
address), and no maintenance cost (partly free from the net, and partly
subsumed into the cost of ast's next edition) is good business.  My guess
is that 1.6 and later will allow no copying, and PH will try to move Minix
as far upscale as the market will bear.  The fun will be to see how far
they get, without falling flat on their faces or pulling in the competition.

In fact, the figures may be better than that.  I bought the slip-case
with Minix 1.2, (I already had the textbook) and the slipcase stuff was
fairly useless.  Most students probably buy the textbook already - it's
a very good one; they will all still need the book, and so adding other
material to disk sales shouldn't cannabalise text book sales at all.

However, at the end of the day student's using Minix will be paying
$120-130 for the program, $40-$50 for the textbook, and $20-$30 for
a book on using Unix (eg. McGilton and Morgan).  A lot of money for
one course, or even two; I wonder what will happen next?

Astonishing good luck, Sirs, and remember us as, the Filthistan Trio

Will Rose

  Joseph Schumpeter lives!   |    cwr@pnet10.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr
ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (02/15/90)

Someone said:
> Unfair to shell out $115 for one semester? That's not that bad, in comparison
>to some $70 chemistry text books I have used. A hell of alot more usefull
>once the course is finished!

	This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid -- paying $115 for a program
that won't be used the minute the final is over.  (See below for why the
program isn't used later.)

Someone else said:
>EE/CS 338 at UIUC: Computer Networks (A undergrad/grad course):
>There are two required texts (one of which is by Andy Tanenbaum), which the
>bookstore has ONLY NEW copies of: the Tanenbaum book is $55, and the other is
>$59.  I spent $250 for books last semester.

	So what is your point? You didn't *want* to pay $250 did you?
(Answer 'No').  Then why would you want to spend $115 on Minix?  My point
is to prevent this kind of thing.

From article <1500@crash.cts.com>, by cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose):
> However, at the end of the day student's using Minix will be paying
> $120-130 for the program, $40-$50 for the textbook, and $20-$30 for
> a book on using Unix (eg. McGilton and Morgan).  A lot of money for
> one course, or even two; I wonder what will happen next?

	Don't forget the $250 (and that's an underestimate) for a
hard-disk, Minix 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 all require a hard-disk.  Now come off of
it: $40 + $115 + $250 = much too much for an *undergrad* course with a
program that is a "learning" OS.  Undergrads just don't spend enough
time digging through code to make $115 worth it.

> Certainly $120 for a program with no development cost (subsumed into the
> original textbook cost), no support cost (apart from printing ast's email
> address), and no maintenance cost (partly free from the net, and partly
> subsumed into the cost of ast's next edition) is good business.  My guess
> is that 1.6 and later will allow no copying, and PH will try to move Minix
> as far upscale as the market will bear.  The fun will be to see how far
> they get, without falling flat on their faces or pulling in the competition.

	I concurr.  Remember folks, Minix is a LEARNING OS -- developed
to *TEACH* the ideas of OS.  The program is not a "real" enough OS to
replace MS-DOS, OS/2, or AIX so when the course is over, Minix most
likely goes back in the disk box.  If Minix were totally capable of
replacing MS-DOS, OS/2, or AIX (on the student's machine) then $115 is a
bargain that couldn't be passed up.

	BTW, my opinions are based on $115 price for Minix.  They are NOT
a criticism of Andy's work or of Andy in general.  Personally, I like
the beauty of Minix.

--
Jason Coughlin ( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx )
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the

jds@mimsy.umd.edu (James da Silva) (02/15/90)

In article <1500@crash.cts.com> cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:
>I bought the slip-case with Minix 1.2, (I already had the textbook) and
>the slipcase stuff was fairly useless.

I'll go farther: The slipcase version is COMPLETELY useless to the user;
its sole reason for existence is to provide the bookstores with the proper
margin.  It isn't even the right size!

Down with the Slipcase version!  Up with The Book + The Disks!

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds	 	    Systems Design & Analysis Group

In article <1990Feb15.153248.6537@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) writes:
> 	I concurr.  Remember folks, Minix is a LEARNING OS -- developed
> to *TEACH* the ideas of OS.  The program is not a "real" enough OS to
> replace MS-DOS, OS/2, or AIX so when the course is over, Minix most
> likely goes back in the disk box.  If Minix were totally capable of
> replacing MS-DOS, OS/2, or AIX (on the student's machine) then $115 is a
> bargain that couldn't be passed up.

[AIX? Why bring up AIX? How about System V/386?]

That depends on what the student wants to do. The majority of computer
science or engineering types I know who have PCs use their computers for
light editing, programming/hacking, modemming, and running BBSes. For
this activity Minix is far superior to DOS or OS/2.

And for these people, Minix is indeed a bargain.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

sung@cs.washington.edu (Sung Kwon Chung) (02/16/90)

[Discussions regarding the (expected) higher costs (text, software,
 hard-disk, ... ) of using new versions of Mnix in OS classes]

This is not a new idea, but how about using earier version (1.2 or even 1.1)
in classes?  After the class, students with further interest in
Minix can purchase the newest version.  (I am almost assuming the
earier versions of Minix is freely copiable to students.  But I maybe wrong.)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/16/90)

In article <1500@crash.cts.com> cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:
>Certainly $120 for a program with no development cost (subsumed into the
>original textbook cost), no support cost (apart from printing ast's email
>address), and no maintenance cost (partly free from the net, and partly
>subsumed into the cost of ast's next edition) is good business.  My guess
>is that 1.6 and later will allow no copying
A couple of messages back someone noted that he had just bought a chemistry
book for $70.  I suspect that if that publisher had to throw in 17 diskettes
as well, they wouldn't come out that much lower than $120.  Furthermore, I bet
they wouldn't permit their author to distribute free upgrades to the disks
indefinitely on the net.  Version 2.0 and beyond will have the same license
as the current one: you may may 2 copies, so three people can share the $120.
I think compared to what Microsoft, Lotus, and most other companies charge,
this is not outrageous.

> I bought the slip-case
>with Minix 1.2, (I already had the textbook)
Why did you buy the slipcase version when the yellow box with the disks
was available for much less?  The slipcase version is aimed at the professional
market.  When MINIX was first announced, a couple of hundred people a day came
running into the Computer Literacy Bookstore in Silicon Valley wanting to buy
the software.  The owner called P-H about twice a day bugging them for a
version he could sell.  That's when P-H made the slipcase version.

There are no plans at all to change the current approach, except perhaps to
shift the documentation from the book to the manual that comes with the disks
to reduce the size of the book.  I will keep posting upgrades to the net so
anyone who wants can have them for free.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (02/17/90)

In article <5443@star.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes...

]A couple of messages back someone noted that he had just bought a chemistry
]book for $70.  I suspect that if that publisher had to throw in 17 diskettes
]as well, they wouldn't come out that much lower than $120.  Furthermore, I bet
]they wouldn't permit their author to distribute free upgrades to the disks
]indefinitely on the net.  Version 2.0 and beyond will have the same license
]as the current one: you may may 2 copies, so three people can share the $120.
]I think compared to what Microsoft, Lotus, and most other companies charge,
]this is not outrageous.

Case in point:  yesterday my upgrade from the standard edition
of Microsoft Word to Word for Windows arrived.  My employer
(who escaped taxes by virtue of being a government) shelled
out $150 plus $5.50 shipping.  This brings 7 or 8 floppies
and a set of documentation.  To my utter stupefaction, this
$155 investment included a card I could send in -- with (you
guessed it) *another* $20 so I can have the technical
reference manual (with such useful things as how you write
macros, etc.).

It's reported to be a superior product (I can say it's no
great speed demon, despite my having a 33 MHz 386 machine
with 8 megs, a 17ms hard disk, a 256K ram cache and a 1.5M
disk cache).

But compared to Minix?  Let's be realistic, a working
operating system--contantly improving and expanding at an
amazing rate--plus a first-rate textbook by an author who
is himself a simple email message away, who proves his star
status by never acting like a star, plus the most liberal
licensing conditions in the entire industry, all this for
less than 25% of the cost ($495) of Word for Windows.

Let's face it, there are people who will complain about the
price if it's free or even if you pay *them*, and students
probably have some legitimate concerns, given the debt some
of them routinely assume as part of getting the degree,
but despite that, Minix is still the deal of the  decade.

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu====UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (02/18/90)

From article <5443@star.cs.vu.nl>, by ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum):
> A couple of messages back someone noted that he had just bought a chemistry
> book for $70.  I suspect that if that publisher had to throw in 17 diskettes
> as well, they wouldn't come out that much lower than $120.  Furthermore, I bet
> they wouldn't permit their author to distribute free upgrades to the disks
> indefinitely on the net.  Version 2.0 and beyond will have the same license
> as the current one: you may may 2 copies, so three people can share the $120.
> I think compared to what Microsoft, Lotus, and most other companies charge,
> this is not outrageous.

Since I started this thread, I would like to finish it before we get
into a war.  My whole point was that I thought it was unfair to make a
student pay ($120 + $40) for one undergraduate level OS course.  I didn't
say that $120 was unreasonable for MINIX *period* -- I said it was
unreasonable to charge for an *undergrad* OS course.  Andy said that
educational institutions are allowed to make copies for their students
taking the class.  THEREFORE, the war is mute.