[comp.os.minix] 386 HD problem fixed

wkt@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey) (02/19/90)

In a previous article of mine, I wrote:

>Help! I've just bought a 386SX drop-in motherboard to replace my 10MHx XT
>board, and it works fine for DOS, but Minix refuses to boot. I've narrowed
>it down to the Hard Disk Controller, as Minix floppy boots without it. If
>anybody could help solve my problem, I'd be very much obliged!
>
>New 386 board: 20MHx 386SX + 2M RAM, Phoenix 386 BIOS, `CHIPS' chipset
>Hard Drive: Seagate ST238R, 615 cyls, 4 heads, 25 sct/trk in RLL mode
>            Adaptec ACB-2072 RLL controller, used in XT

I have found the problem and fixed it. The assumption made by the kernel is
that if you have a 286 or 386 board, you will also have an AT HD controller.
However, in my case, this was not true, so I had to change one line in
protect.c to use the XT_WINI_VECTOR [given below]. At the moment, I'm using
the xt_wini.c driver in protected mode (it still doesn't work in real) with
the 386 running at 8MHz - some extra delays needed to be inserted into the
code.

Thanks to those people who sent me suggestions, especially about slowing
down the CPU!

End note: Murphy hates me - I put the motherboard in the chassis, plugged
	  everything in, and now I'm getting a `Keyboard failure' :-( It
	  worked before. Any ideas?

Warren Toomey		wkt@csadfa.oz.au@munnari.oz.au[@uunet.uu.net]

------
*** protect.c	Fri Feb 16 17:22:58 1990
--- ../1.5kernel/protect.c	Mon Feb 12 20:26:23 1990
***************
*** 140,146 ****
  	prs232_int, RS232_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
  	disk_int, FLOPPY_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
  	lpr_int, PRINTER_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
! 	wini_int, AT_WINI_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
    };

    /* This is called early and can't use tables set up by main(). */
--- 140,146 ----
  	prs232_int, RS232_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
  	disk_int, FLOPPY_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
  	lpr_int, PRINTER_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
! 	wini_int, XT_WINI_VECTOR, INTR_PRIVILEGE,
    };

    /* This is called early and can't use tables set up by main(). */

     Warren Toomey VK2XWT, still 386-less.
     Deep in the bowels of ADFA Comp Science.
`The rain is coming in thru the windows, is that ok?'