[comp.os.minix] Minix for PS/2 -- status report

djd@cs.columbia.edu (Daniel Duchamp) (02/18/90)

In article <11434@nigel.udel.EDU> ast@cs.vu.nl writes:

>I believe it runs on PS/2s.  Ask Dan Duchamp at columbia.  I think his
>address is duchamp@cs.columbia.edu

AAAAHHHHH!  Don't do that!  I already get 50-60 mail messages per day.

Here at Columbia we have version 1.4.2 running (in real mode only) on
models 70 and 80.  By the end of this week, I hope we will have 1.5.0
working on the 80, which is the development machine for my (Minix)
group.  A while back, Steve Ackerman of Vermont gave to us version 1.3
that he runs on what I believe is the model 50.  So the brief answer
is that it seems Minix runs pretty well on the PS/2.

We plan to shadow ast's updates to 1.5 as well as we can.  We also
have semi-serious ambitions to do neat things like an ESDI driver and
networking, but -- even if we do succeed -- you won't see these things
before Fall.  As things progress, I will be in touch with ast about
distributing the PS/2 version.

umbaugh@evax.arl.utexas.edu (David Umbaugh) (02/20/90)

   From: Daniel Duchamp <djd%CS.COLUMBIA.EDU@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
[quoted in part below]

   Here at Columbia we have version 1.4.2 running (in real mode only) on
   models 70 and 80.  By the end of this week, I hope we will have 1.5.0
   working on the 80,
   . . .
   So the brief answer
   is that it seems Minix runs pretty well on the PS/2.
[which might lead the uncritical reader to conclude that Minix out of
the box will boot and load the root file system, etc. on a PS/2.]

   As things progress, I will be in touch with ast about
   distributing the PS/2 version.

[but this indicates that the truth is obviously otherwise.  Caveate
Emptor.  At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel and all
the PS/2 users will owe a vote of thanks to those who made it all
work.]
L. David (Dave) Umbaugh, Computer Science Engineering, University of
Texas at Arlingon, PO Box 19015 Arlington, TX 76012, (817) 273-3628
<umbaugh@evax.utarl.edu>  Formerly <umbaugh@evax.arl.utexas.edu> or
                                 <CS_UMBAUGH@EVAX.ARL.UTEXAS.EDU> or
                                   <umbaugh@hcx.arl.utexas.edu>
<B652LDU@UTARLG>  BITNET