[comp.os.minix] A question of law...

cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid) (02/21/90)

In article <5443@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> to reduce the size of the book.  I will keep posting upgrades to the net so
> anyone who wants can have them for free.

I'm in the process of re-packaging a 1.5.0 upgrade kit for an ftp site and
an interesting question comes to mind:

	Is it legal to store, on an ftp site, as simple tar files, the
	directories:
		include/{,minix/,sys/}*.h
		lib/{other/,posix/,ansi/,string/,ibm/}*		(1)
		commands - almost all, still a few patches	(2)
		doc
		test
	but keep tools, mm, fs, kernel all as tar'd patches? I think it could
	be, since the above were posted, in 1.5.0, as complete files.

There could easily be copyright laws stopping me repackaging the upgrade
kit into the above form, is there?

Even more tricky, if the above is legal, can I maintain these directories,
applying patches as they arrive, then keep the up-to-date (eg 1.5.3
version) of these directories as ftp'able tar files.

In summary:

I know I can't have minix kernel/os sources on an ftp site, only patches.
The question is can I package the rest of minix (beging carefull in
places) into a set of ftp'able tar files containing the latest version
of the of include, lib, commands, doc & test?

					Andrew Cagney
					cagney@cs.ua.oz

(1) Only patches to lib atari, that is all that was posted.
(2) A lot of the commands were simply re-posted but some patches were
    included. I'd have to leave some patches in.