[net.unix-wizards] How would the French implement Unix?

lauren@UCLA-Security@sri-unix (08/11/82)

From: lauren at UCLA-Security (Lauren Weinstein)
Date: 27 July 1982 1635-PDT (Tuesday)
You could certainly be sure that, as usual, they would *never* dream
of doing it the same way as everyone else.

The July issue of "Mini-Micro Systems" has a rather interesting
article about the French efforts to implement a full Unix system,
including all utilities, in Pascal instead of C.

Versions for the Honeywell Level 6, 8086, 68000, 6809, and PDP-11's
are expected.  This system is being called "Sol" and is widely
discussed (apparently) in the European Unix Users' Group meetings.

I would be interested in learning more about the history of this
project.  There were some interesting quotes:

"Problems that may arise with Pascal were detected by replacing
chunks of C coding with parts written in Pascal..."

"It is not obvious that C is better than Pascal in NS16000-based
machines or Honeywell minicomputers... however... programmers
used to C will not like Pascal, and vice versa."

"Research institutes will get the Sol source code "almost free,"
as with Unix..."

-----

I am not a big Pascal fan, and I must frankly admit that as far
as I'm concerned, the whole idea seems counterproductive in terms
of true system standardization is concerned.  Still, I thought
that I'd mention the project in this forum since it has not
been noted previously in UNIX-WIZARDS to my knowledge.  I wonder
what sort of licensing/distribution agreement the Sol group is
working with?  It sure sounds like they started with Unix source
code...

--Lauren--

mark (08/11/82)

I think the French are using ISO Pascal, which has "conformant arrays".
I'm not sure, but I believe you can make variable length character
strings using conformant arrays, so the obvious problem is taken care of.

However, they insist on using ISO Pascal, NOT a superset, since they
are using existing compilers.  This means they can't use ANY
extensions.  I would think they would at least want external compilation,
since recompiling the whole kernel to make a 1 line change doesn't
sound like much fun.  And there appears to be no way to implement
qsort(3).  malloc should be interesting, too, but I can see writing
that in assembly language (or C) and a user program using "new".

It should be interesting to see what /usr/include becomes in Sol.

	Mark

dmh (08/13/82)

	I am courious as to how i/o and device driver will be done. I love
pascal! However, whenever device drivers are needed I always had troubles.
Maybe it was the USCD version or Univac exec trouble.
	I agree with the quote "programmers used to C will not like
Pascal, and vice versa." After a Year since my change I am still not
overjoyed!
				Dave Hollander
				BTL HO