[comp.os.minix] Sozobon C

mwjester@wsucsa.uucp (02/20/90)

In article <1050@trlluna.trl.oz>, greg@ait.trl.oz (Greg Aumann) writes:
> It is becoming more and more obvoius that Minix needs a C compiler with
> source that can be distributed without restrictions and modified
> easily. ...

> Would someone who knows more about the Sozoban compiler please comment
> on its suitability for minix and how easy it would be to modify the
> backend to generate code for the 8086 and 80386 etc.  Also could Bruce
> please comment on what he intends for his compiler.

I am not exactly an authority on the Sozobon C compiler, but I can tell you
what I've heard in comp.sys.atari.st regarding it.  It is my understanding that
work is proceeding on a Minix port.  It is also the stated intention of at
least one of the authors to bring it into ANSI compliance over time.

For those who haven't heard of Sozobon C, it is a freeware (not shareware) C
compiler, originally designed as a replacement for the Alcyon C compiler that
came with the Atari ST developer's kit.  It is distributed with source, in-
cluding the source for Dale Schumacher's Dlibs library.  I am not sure how
easily it can be modified to generate 80X86 code, but since the source is
available, it should at least be possible.  (I am not planning to, since I
know almost nothing about 80X86 assembly language :^(  ).

Hope this is of interest to the group.

Max J.

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (02/22/90)

SOZOBON C, warning:

Although the compiler works more-or-less (I can mail the bugs I found tothose
those interested) the assembler is a MEMORY HOG.
I tried the assembler on a large file and it used nearly 512KBytes, whereas
the GNU Assembler was happy with 256Kbytes total memory (text+data+bss+heap+
stack) on the same file.
The primary objection is that there is the wish to have ,,the same compiler''
for MINIX-PC and MINIX-68K, so the SOZOBON compiler will be restricted to
experimental guys (BTW, is makes >950 Dhrystones).
But I encourage everyone to try it out, you can get it from the archives
in source code form. (sozosrc.arc, I think).

/Christoph van Wuellen