[comp.os.minix] 1.5.3 lib/ibm problem

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (02/22/90)

There appears to be a big problem in the makefile for the 1.5.3 ibm directory:
There are at least 4 or 5 assembly source files in the directory, that
the makefile blithely deletes! To wit:

all:
	@rm -f portio.s peekpoke.s
	@ls *.s >tmp.1
	@sed <tmp.1 >tmp.2 '/.*/s//& >\/tmp\/&/;/^/s//libpack </'
	@sh tmp.2
	@rm tmp.?
	@ls *.c >tmp.1
	@sed <tmp.1 >tmp.2 '/\.c/s///;/^/s//make f=/'
	@rm -rf tmp.1 *.s *.bak	### WHOA, NICK!!!! YOU BE TOO DESTRUCTIVE!!!!
	@sh tmp.2
	@rm tmp.?

I hope not too many people had to restore from backups because of this!
AND ANOTHER THING! What is this?

56449    474 /home/top/ast/minix/1.5.3/lib/ibm/prtso.s

I don't have one of these! Is it important?
--

Kent Williams                  "We're One! All One! Exceptions Eternally?
williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu   None! Absolutely None!" - Dr. Bronner's Soap

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/23/90)

In article <711@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) writes:
>There appears to be a big problem in the makefile for the 1.5.3 ibm directory:
>There are at least 4 or 5 assembly source files in the directory, that
>the makefile blithely deletes! To wit:
I was wondering who the guilty party was.  Now I know. Me.

>56449    474 /home/top/ast/minix/1.5.3/lib/ibm/prtso.s
This is the Pascal runtime startoff.  You don't need it.  It just lives there.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)