[comp.os.minix] Installing PC 1.5.3

bunnell@henry.asel.udel.edu (Tim Bunnell) (02/23/90)

To my considerable surprise, under 1.5.3 the command:

	ar q libc.a 'lorder *.s | tsort'

gives every appearance of actually working.  However, it reports a cycle
between malloc and memmove (the assembly version which also contains
an entry point to memcpy).  I have not been able to manually trace the cycle,
but in trying to do so I noticed that malloc has DEBUG code enabled.  Is this
the recommended setting for that routine at present?  Will anything break if
the debugging code is disabled?

By the way, apart from already reported problems and some errors that were
probably my own the 1.5.0 --> 1.5.3 upgrade has gone smoothly for the
commands and libraries.  Are we to rebuild the boot image and kernel using
the old kernel + new fs-mm-tools, or wait for the new kernel before taking
that step?

Tim Bunnell
<bunnell@asel.udel.edu>

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/23/90)

In article <11884@nigel.udel.EDU> bunnell@henry.asel.udel.edu (Tim Bunnell) writes:
>To my considerable surprise, under 1.5.3 the command:
>
>	ar q libc.a 'lorder *.s | tsort'

I cheated.  tsort is a wholly new program, unrelated to the old one.

> Are we to rebuild the boot image and kernel using
>the old kernel + new fs-mm-tools, or wait for the new kernel before taking
>that step?
Rebuild using the new fs, new mm, new tools and old kernel.  The new kernel
will follow soon.

I am already busy with 1.5.4.  Fortunately it is definitely
converging.  The differences between 1.5.4 and 1.5.3 so far are all very small
bug fixes.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce Evans) (02/25/90)

In article <11884@nigel.udel.EDU> bunnell@henry.asel.udel.edu (Tim Bunnell) writes:
|	ar q libc.a 'lorder *.s | tsort'
|
|gives every appearance of actually working.  However, it reports a cycle
|between malloc and memmove (the assembly version which also contains

I saw this in 1.5.0 too. It appears to be a bug in lorder.

|but in trying to do so I noticed that malloc has DEBUG code enabled.  Is this
|the recommended setting for that routine at present?  Will anything break if
|the debugging code is disabled?

I think the routine is well enough debugged by now. I have seen the "assertion
failed" message from it a few times, but it was always from a bad argument to
free or the stack being too small. Someone should test how much time the
extra tests costs. If not much, leave the tests in, but don't call them DEBUG
code.

|commands and libraries.  Are we to rebuild the boot image and kernel using
|the old kernel + new fs-mm-tools, or wait for the new kernel before taking
|that step?

Use the old one.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@ditsyda.oz.au