[comp.os.minix] 386SX anyone?

gfb@wsc-sun.boeing.com (Gareth Beale) (02/24/90)

I have thus far only dabbled with minix on a borrowed Compaq 286 portable,
and am considering buying my own PC.  A 386 seems to be the way to go,
but of course they are not cheap.  Has anyone been running minix on a
386SX-based system?  I would imagine there should be no problems since
I know people run it on "real" 386's, but would be interested to hear
of other people's experiences before laying out large quantities of cash.

Gareth Beale (206)865-5375  #
Mail Stop 7A-35             #  e-mail:
Boeing Computer Services    #  gfb@wsc-sun.boeing.com
P.O. Box 24346              #  or:
Seattle, Wa. 98124-0346     #  gfb%wsc-sun@atc.boeing.com

pcm@iwarp.intel.com (Phil Miller) (02/26/90)

In article <12033@nigel.udel.EDU> gfb@wsc-sun.boeing.com (Gareth Beale) writes:
>I have thus far only dabbled with minix on a borrowed Compaq 286 portable,
>and am considering buying my own PC.  A 386 seems to be the way to go,
>but of course they are not cheap.  Has anyone been running minix on a
>386SX-based system?  I would imagine there should be no problems since
>I know people run it on "real" 386's, but would be interested to hear
>of other people's experiences before laying out large quantities of cash.

>Gareth Beale (206)865-5375  #
>Mail Stop 7A-35             #  e-mail:
>Boeing Computer Services    #  gfb@wsc-sun.boeing.com
>P.O. Box 24346              #  or:
>Seattle, Wa. 98124-0346     #  gfb%wsc-sun@atc.boeing.com

Minix works just fine in the system I am using.

I am running MINIX v1.3 on a VIP 386SX MotherBoard, running at 16MHz in real
mode.

I have 2 Mb of EXTENDED memory on the motherboard and another 4 on an add-in
board.

Minix came up with absolutely NO difficulty on the new machine.  Ditto DOS.

Phil Miller
pcm@iwarp.intel.com