[comp.os.minix] Minix ST 1.3 lpr command

mcgn@eicons.UUCP (Normand Mc Guire) (02/20/90)

The Minix ST 1.3 lpr command makes the system crash with a bus error
when killed with kill. What I do is simple: I start `lpr file' in
background to be able to do some work. Then I decide I want to stop
the printing of the file and I `kill pid' it. The system immediately
stops, reporting a bus error, and, if I remember well, displays the
pc and sp registers. I simply reset.

Anyone got into that trap ?

Normand Mc Guire.

weber@tsetse.informatik.uni-kl.de (Markus Weber) (02/26/90)

mcgn@eicons.UUCP (Normand Mc Guire) writes:

>The Minix ST 1.3 lpr command makes the system crash with a bus error
>when killed with kill. What I do is simple: I start `lpr file' in

There's a bug in kernel/stprint.c. I can't quote the patch from memory,
but here goes: kill processing sets the proc# to CANCELLED, which is some
large number. While building the reply message, proc_addr(some_large_number)
is called, which in turn causes the bus error. If needed, I can post a real
patch.

Markus Weber,	EMail: weber@informatik.uni-kl.de